Author Topic: Saoirse news thread....  (Read 6170 times)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
Saoirse news thread....
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
The Hollywood Reporter just posted an article indicating that a Hanna project for T.V. is in the works:

http://tinyurl.com/jlyyagb

Poetswan

• View Profile
Re: Saoirse news thread....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:31 PM »
I know purple lemon will like this news a lot :) I love this ideia, but without Saoirse.... I don't know if I will like

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
First the Brooklyn TV series, and now this?!
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

Gabby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • I Heart Saoirse
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
First the Brooklyn TV series, and now this?!
My first thought. Funny timing...
"I just missed your heart."

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:27:11 AM »
This post isn't news, but I felt it wasn't worth a new thread.  I watched "The Sense Of An Ending" today and wanted to mention this was the first time I've ever seen Saoirse's leading man (On Chesil Beach) Billy Howle in a film.  He was the younger version of Jim Broadbent's character in the film.  Most of his scenes had limited dialogue while focusing on reaction shots and quiet pauses, but my impression of him was positive in the main.  He has good screen presence and to my eyes looks comfortable being patient in scenes and has a aura of intellegence..

The film has Broadbent who of course was the priest opposite Saoirse in Brooklyn, and Michelle Dockery has a small but important role as well.  She had her neck snapped in Hanna.   ;)  Odile Dicks-Mireaux did the costuming as she did in Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:54:21 PM by Steve 7216 »

PMG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:03:44 AM »
I must put that on my watchlist. I'd like to see Howle in a film before OCB comes out. Great cast also includes a couple of Atonement actors in Harriet Walter who played Briony's mother, and Peter Wight (detective).

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:41:16 AM »
Yes, you're very observant.  I was itching to post about it last night and did it quickly without mentioning the two other actors from Atonement.  She has great chemistry with Broadbent in the film.  You feel they're indeed formerly married and very good friends.  It's a subtle and slow-burning film that's in the end lovely but definitely for the art house crowd.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »
Saw it today, lovely film. Dockery probably the most well known to American audiences, having been Lady Mary in Downton Abby. Howie didn't have a lot to do and walks around trying to figure out what's going on, but he does have screen presence.

Not that it matters Saoirse-wise, but I was impressed with Joe Alwyn as Tony's friend/nemesis Adrian Finn. This was Alwyn's second movie. His first was as Billy in Ang Lee's "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk."     

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Hello jlent.  It's weird because I received one email notification the other day from a poster but just that one in over a month.  Hopefully this will get straightened out soon.  BTW, I can't figure out these time stamps.  When did you post?

The film definitely makes you think due to not really fully revealing everything.  When they very quickly superimposed Adrian in front of the big fellow who was mentally challenged, are we to believe Adrian had a relationship with his girlfriend's mother (Emily Mortimer) and produced a son?  What was the waving of the hand suppose to mean when the younger Tony looked back through the car window at his girlfriend's mother while being driven away following the little weekend stay?  What was the deal with the young Veronica?  I couldn't quite figure her out.  What are we to make of Adrian's suicide?  Dockery looked lovely in the film.

I never figured out what happened to Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.  I must have blinked and it opened and closed in my area.     
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:18:00 PM by Steve 7216 »

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
Billy Lynn came and went in a matter of a week or two. It was universally panned, mostly for its technique of filming at 80 frames a second or something like that, which made it look too weird.
As for Sense of an Ending, my companion - my actress friend - had to sort it out for me. Yes, Adrian had a relationship with his girlfriend's mother, which produced a son. Adrian's suicide was most likely from his learning the mom was pregnant.
The mom's hand gesture we were both stymied by but of the opinion it was probably a symbolic motion to announce her availability for Tony. Veronica must have been so pissed at her mom for being like that, but we never learn because the narrative is Tony's only.
It makes me want to see the film again for any clues that might be there from the only time we hear the mom's present-day voice, as Tony reads the letter informing him of the bequeathment in mom's voice. She must be close to 100 by now, but still talks like the more youthful version, which makes sense because it's the only version of her voice Tony knows.   
From what I understand the ending of the book and movie are different tonally with the movie being upbeat and the novel a downer (sorta like Brooklyn?).

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
And I posted this today, March 20, the earlier one this morning. 

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
"my companion - my actress friend - had to sort it out for me."   :D  It's very nice to have such good friends jlent. 

I did see the film again, and it's instructive how a second viewing enables one to pick up little details that may prove to be a final piece to a puzzle.  I feel I'm a reasonable perceptive person, but careful attention must be paid in a film such as this.  For example, when young Tony is being driven away by Veronica's father (she's of course in the front seat), he expresses how much he likes Veronica's mother, and the dad replies innocently how he "has competition."  I totally glossed over that the first time. 

The hand signal is fascinating, for I never would've had the idea you mentioned in your post.  At first I felt the mother might have been giving Tony the hint to stay away from her daughter. 

I'm not surprised in the least the reference you made to the ending and mentioning Brooklyn.  Even challenging film makers must consider the audience viewing a visual replication of a novel when deciding exactly how to finesse the ending.  Personally, the ending made me feel better about the entire story not only because Tony comes outside himself and tells his ex how much she and the daughter mean to him, but he composes such a beautiful letter that Veronica reads expressing his deep feelings concerning that particular chapter of his life and how it is still so much a part of him.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 12:08:50 AM »
Is it me or is Saoirse now pronouncing her name more like "Seersha" than her earlier "Sersha like inertia"?
842809958357856256[/tweet]][/url]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:14:41 AM by jlent »

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
By the way, my friend is now convinced the hand gesture was a wave to Tony down low so that her husband, who was in the front seat, couldn't see it. Sounds good to me 

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 04:17:07 AM »
It just sounds like she pronounced it fast jlent.  Still sounded like Sirsha to me.  I was going to ask you about the video: is she back in New York?

Your friend's observation about the hand wave does indeed make sense to me.  Why didn't I think of that?   ???

That monstrosity of a bill went down in flames.  Good enough for those bastards!