Author Topic: What directors, actors and critics have to say about her  (Read 1246 times)

PMG

• View Profile
Re: What directors, actors and critics have to say about her
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Nor me.. Nice comments also from Keira Knightly and screenwriter Chris Hammpton.

Ian McEwan commented on Saoirse in the film...

https://tinyurl.com/kxxxxfs
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:47:20 PM by PMG »

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 10:54:02 PM »
Ian McEwan commented on Saoirse in the film...
I once had that interview on heavy rotation.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2017, 03:21:45 AM »
This is how legends are created.
Just out today:

Hollywood heart-throb Ryan Gosling declares Saoirse Ronan is the new Meryl Streep and says she made him a better actor

Ryan, who once publicly schooled the industry on the pronunciation of Saoirse’s name, is working on plans to shoot with her on home turf in Ireland.

The La La Land actor said: “She’s a genius. She’s a master. She made me a better actor, I think any actor she works with, there’s an elevation in their abilities, upping their game.

I felt like I was working with a master, like someone from the Golden Age. Someone superior to my skills as an actor in every way. She’s Meryl reborn. Well actually, she’s Saoirse, that name has the same recognition like Meryl (Streep) for being the best. Because she is the best.

“So absolutely, certainly, 100 percent, we are going to work together again, I look forward to it. I don’t know when that will be, that is one busy actor.

“But I know she wants to bring me to Ireland, I’m fully on board.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1546801/hollywood-heart-throb-ryan-gosling-declares-saoirse-ronan-is-the-new-meryl-streep-and-says-she-made-him-a-better-actor/

So, that's not too bad.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:39:12 AM by jlent »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
I was surprised to find a copy of The Way Back in a DVD store recently.  It includes a “making of” documentary in which Peter Weir and Colin Farrell comment on working with 14 or 15 year old Saoirse:

Colin Farrell:  “Breath of fresh air, really was, and all the lads were talking about it before she came saying God it will be great to have... some young energy and some female energy and just a completely different perspective.”

Peter Weir:  “Somehow she was... born an actress, I’m talking about screen acting too which is with all its subtleties and particular aspects.”

Colin Farrell:  “With all the success that she’s had she’s so lovely with it, or she’s not with it at all... she’s just really cool and she’s obviously a bit of a brilliant actor, won’t get into that or you might see me turn green with envy.”

There’s three key aspects to this film.  First it’s a tribute to those who suffered in the Soviet gulag system.  Second, the scenery and cinematography are breathtaking especially in the arid regions.  Third, the entire film changes when Saoirse’s character Irena enters the fray.  As Colin Farrell suggests she completely changes the dynamic of the group and the tone of the film.  In fact the film really splits into three portions: pre Irena, with Irena and post Irena.

Interesting that Bulgaria played the part of Siberia and the Moroccan Sahara played the part of Mongolia.  So Saoirse actually filmed in Morocco for two consecutive films: TWB and Hanna.

Interesting also that Saoirse was third credited in TWB above Colin Farrell even though she only features in a little more than a third of the film.  Colin Farrell was pretty good too.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/joe-wright-darkest-hour-director-interview-on-gary-oldman-saoirse-ronan-and-keira-knightley

Joe Wright Talks about Saoirse

You first cast Ronan in Atonement when she was 11. What were your first impressions of her back then?

We met many, many kids for that role. Then we were sent this tape of this little girl speaking in this perfect 1920s English accent. Immediately, she had this kind of intensity, dynamism, and willfulness. . . . When we got her to come over to London to meet and read with us, I was shocked to discover this little Irish kid who spoke with a thick Irish accent. I thought maybe there’d been a mistake. And then I sat down to read with her, and as soon as she started reading, I realized she was an extraordinary talent.

What do you think of her role in Lady Bird?

It’s a wonderful performance. . . . There is no sense of her acting and yet what she’s doing is incredibly skilled and technical, and at the same time accessing great wells of emotional truth. . . . She makes it look completely easy.

When you cast these two women, did you have a sense back then that their careers would turn out as they have?

Saoirse was a foregone conclusion.

<3. I hope they do another film together when Saoirse is in her late 20's.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:33:27 PM by trvscrosley »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2017, 01:52:18 AM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/joe-wright-darkest-hour-director-interview-on-gary-oldman-saoirse-ronan-and-keira-knightley

Joe Wright Talks about Saoirse

You first cast Ronan in Atonement when she was 11. What were your first impressions of her back then?

We met many, many kids for that role. Then we were sent this tape of this little girl speaking in this perfect 1920s English accent. Immediately, she had this kind of intensity, dynamism, and willfulness. . . . When we got her to come over to London to meet and read with us, I was shocked to discover this little Irish kid who spoke with a thick Irish accent. I thought maybe there’d been a mistake. And then I sat down to read with her, and as soon as she started reading, I realized she was an extraordinary talent.

What do you think of her role in Lady Bird?

It’s a wonderful performance. . . . There is no sense of her acting and yet what she’s doing is incredibly skilled and technical, and at the same time accessing great wells of emotional truth. . . . She makes it look completely easy.

When you cast these two women, did you have a sense back then that their careers would turn out as they have?

Saoirse was a foregone conclusion.

<3. I hope they do another film together when Saoirse is in her late 20's.

:)