Author Topic: Brooklyn  (Read 202 times)

tigheman

• View Profile
Brooklyn
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:33:44 AM »
Just watched this for the umptheen time and I began to notice the little things, the quiet scenes.

1). When Tony first went to see her after school, Eilis is out of focus at the top of the stairs waiting for him to acknowledge her.
2). Talking with Sheila in the bathroom, foreshadowing the what you want with what you have now question.
3). Ellis looking at the Long Island fields and seeing her future.
4). Eilis gazing over the Irish beach her look softens enough to accept Ireland again.
5). The "Teach me to live" sign hanging on Miss Kelly's wall. 
5). During the goodbye hug her mum looks happy, proud, then resigned to losing her - again.  It's the only time she didn't seem manipulative or ignoring.
6). When Jim opens her letter and stares at it.  It broke my heart.  I went to the bookstore to read the scene.  All he could read was "I'm away to America."  He never threw it away.

I'm sure I took in all this information on earlier viewings but this is the first time I really SAW them (except for 6).  Is it possible to enjoy a film too much? . . . Nah. 

Gabby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • I Heart Saoirse
Re: Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 04:12:11 AM »
Oooh I love this! I live for the details. It's amazing the work put into the little things so that each time you watch you notice something new.
"I just missed your heart."

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Just watched this for the umptheen time and I began to notice the little things, the quiet scenes.

1). When Tony first went to see her after school, Eilis is out of focus at the top of the stairs waiting for him to acknowledge her.
2). Talking with Sheila in the bathroom, foreshadowing the what you want with what you have now question.
3). Ellis looking at the Long Island fields and seeing her future.
4). Eilis gazing over the Irish beach her look softens enough to accept Ireland again.
5). The "Teach me to live" sign hanging on Miss Kelly's wall. 
5). During the goodbye hug her mum looks happy, proud, then resigned to losing her - again.  It's the only time she didn't seem manipulative or ignoring.
6). When Jim opens her letter and stares at it.  It broke my heart.  I went to the bookstore to read the scene.  All he could read was "I'm away to America."  He never threw it away.

I'm sure I took in all this information on earlier viewings but this is the first time I really SAW them (except for 6).  Is it possible to enjoy a film too much? . . . Nah.

It's simply a very high quality film tigheman.  We're are devoted fans here, but by any measure, Brooklyn is first rate.  The RT score is 97% (228 fresh out of 236 total reviews), Metacritic is 87.  I believe Oscar nominated films have a floor of about 86 on Metacritic.  Kenneth Turan of The Los Angeles Times named it as his #1 film of 2015, while Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter had it at #2 only behind a Ukrainian film.  Both men are among our most respected and experienced film critics .

The scene with the two of them on an as yet undeveloped Long Island is gorgeous, and it is a fine example of the benefits of putting the camera close to her face.  She dominated the scene, and we see/feel her imagining the future just from her gaze.

tigheman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 04:06:36 AM »
Re the Long Island scene:

In the director's commentary he mentioned that Saoirse's stance with the hands on her hips recalls Maureen O'Hara.  It was unintentional on his part, it was all Saoirse.  Earlier he mentioned a scene as a John Ford moment which I found funny because to me this scene is the John Ford moment.

I've owned the BluRay for only a year but I've loaned it out more than any other disc.  I want everyone I know to see this movie! 

Thanaburn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »
Full description of the procedure.