Author Topic: Lady Bird  (Read 14999 times)

trvscrosley

• View Profile
Re: Lady Bird
« Reply #1095 on: December 15, 2017, 01:36:32 AM »
Thanks.  Yes, the loss of screens will be happening all across the country.  I'm just hoping A24 can book in places where the film hasn't yet screened at all to at least make up for other losses.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2017&wk=50&p=.htm
Down 610 theaters to a total of 947. Don't see anything about 3 Billboards, but it looks like A24 is pushing Disaster Artist past 1k. Not a huge drop, and is still way more than where Moonlight was at this time of the year until they expanded wide again the next year.

I'm a little surprised Travis because it's doing so well midweek, but I guess A24 is going into a semi-hibernation mode until further awards' wins and/or the Oscar noms on 23 January.  Moonlight had its greatest expansion after the Oscars.  My guess is 3B will be even less.  I checked a big Multiplex I go to in Pompano Beach (mainstream), and 3B is down to two screenings tomorrow while LB has five.  As I mentioned before, 3B is completely gone from the arthouse (Gateway) starting tomorrow, but LB is playing all weekend through at least next Thursday.  BYW, I saw TDA and feel it'll be a fast burn once Franco fans see it.  The film will be front-loaded because the more casual fans will realize via word of mouth that it's definitely more on the arthouse side.  It is a bit tedious during the first half but gets better as it goes.  Thanks for the update.

BTW, as you probably know, there will be new locations added while a bunch where the film isn't doing great will be dropped for mainstream titles.  I read a tweet today indicating LB's opening in some theater in Durango.  Probably not a high volume place.  :)

Yeah, I think A24 made the right call though considering the rest of this month will be a bloodbath with Star Wars, Jumanji, Greatest Showman, and Pitch Perfect 3 all dominating theaters. By the end of January / early February we will see Lady Bird come back big as Moonlight and Brooklyn did during that time.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 15, 2017, 01:54:17 AM »
I wonder if there will be a little stir again this year because The Evening Standard has included Saoirse in its awards noms with other English talent. 

BTW, if anyone can come up with an easy way to keep track of how many top ten lists LB is making, then let me know.  The Wrap and its pretty tough critic just named the film number two overall.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 15, 2017, 01:58:54 AM »
I wonder if there will be a little stir again this year because The Evening Standard has included Saoirse in its awards noms with other English talent. 

BTW, if anyone can come up with an easy way to keep track of how many top ten lists LB is making, then let me know.  The Wrap and its pretty tough critic just named the film number two overall.

https://criticstop10.com/

This website shows / ranks each film by how many top 10 lists they have made and how many #1 spots they have made. Lady Bird is currently #3 making 33 lists with 3 top spots.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 15, 2017, 02:04:36 AM »

https://criticstop10.com/

This website shows / ranks each film by how many top 10 lists they have made and how many #1 spots they have made. Lady Bird is currently #3 making 33 lists with 3 top spots.

That is a great resource.  Thanks Travis.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
Here is another terrific review from Madison.com

REVIEW: 'Lady Bird' benefits from Greta Gerwig's story in Saoirse Ronan's hands

BRUCE R. MILLER bmiller@siouxcityjournal.com 6 hrs ago

They don’t get much better than Laurie Metcalf and Saoirse Ronan in “Lady Bird.”

The two capture the angst and silence between mother and daughter so well, you’ll feel like you’re eavesdropping.

Set in the early part of the 21st century, “Lady Bird” tracks an artistic 17-year-old (Ronan) who hates her life in, of all places, Sacramento, California. She longs for an Ivy League school where peers will get her and won’t think she’s trying on affectations like so many clothes.

When she lands in her school’s theater department, Lady Bird (yup, the name is a choice, too), thinks she has found her place but it, too, has a way of disappointing.

Written and directed by Greta Gerwig, “Lady Bird” is such a compelling slice of life you’ll want to know more – even after it’s clear you’ve seen plenty.

Both attractive and repellant, Lady Bird has moments when you’d just like to shake her. Her mom (Metcalf) doesn’t want to douse her dreams, but it’s clear she’s unrealistic on just about every count. When dad (Tracy Letts) catches wind of her plans, he offers to help – without mom’s knowledge. That keeps the tension going and gives the two actresses plenty of difficult moments to play.

Metcalf, in particularly, is so specific in everything she does you’ll swear you’ve known her for years. She wants to be supportive but the family doesn’t have the money to fund Lady Bird’s pipe dreams. She points out the obvious, then watches as her daughter continues to live in her fantasy world.

When a boyfriend (Lucas Hedges) reveals he’s not the guy she thought, Lady Bird picks up with a hipster (Timothee Chalamet), leaving behind those who tolerated her most. Among the victims: a friend named Julie (Beanie Feldstein) who has been her rock for years.

The rift at school is noticeable; the price, incalculable.

Gerwig shoots this from the inside out, getting into Lady Bird’s skin and letting us see just what a teenager feels. It’s a remarkable skill that should land her on Oscar’s short list for best director.

Ronan and Metcalf are likely nominees, too, largely because they never take the easy route in any of their choices. Both find nuances Gerwig may have missed but wholly endorses.

The film has a charm we haven’t seen since “Juno.” But it also has a confidence that suggests Gerwig is a director for long haul. Like Woody Allen, she can exist in her own world, away from the temptations of Hollywood, but close to the heart of hardcore moviegoers.

“Lady Bird” is a soaring achievement.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 16, 2017, 02:11:32 AM »
Thursday was the last day before LB's theater count reduction due to mostly Star Wars and Ferdinand.  The film did well once again:

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS $342K Thursday (3,089)) (Fox)

LADY BIRD $338K Thursday (1,557) (A24)

DADDY'S HOME 2 $309K Thursday (3,263) (Paramount)

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOUR $289K Thursday (1,620) (Fox Searchlight)

Notice that LB for the very first time exceeded the grosses of Daddy's Home 2 despite being on less than half the screens.  It nearly caught MOTOE.  Both of those films are from major studios.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: Today at 10:29:39 AM »
https://vancouverfilmcritics.com/2017/12/15/2018-nominees-announced/

LADY BIRD LEADS VANCOUVER FILM CRITICS CIRCLE INTERNATIONAL NOMINATIONS LIST WITH FIVE NODS
Vancouver, B.C. (December 15, 2017) – Greta Gerwig’s solo directorial debut Lady Bird leads all films in the Vancouver Film Critics Circle’s international section with five nominations.

Winners in the international categories will be announced on Monday, December 18.

Best Picture
Dunkirk
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread

Best Actress
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Best Supporting Actress
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Best Director
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

Best Screenplay
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Jordan Peele, Get Out

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: Today at 05:56:40 PM »
https://vancouverfilmcritics.com/2017/12/15/2018-nominees-announced/

LADY BIRD LEADS VANCOUVER FILM CRITICS CIRCLE INTERNATIONAL NOMINATIONS LIST WITH FIVE NODS
Vancouver, B.C. (December 15, 2017) – Greta Gerwig’s solo directorial debut Lady Bird leads all films in the Vancouver Film Critics Circle’s international section with five nominations.

Winners in the international categories will be announced on Monday, December 18.

Best Picture
Dunkirk
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread

Best Actress
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Best Supporting Actress
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Best Director
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

Best Screenplay
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird
Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Jordan Peele, Get Out

This is what I meant by the film being strong when you posted about the noms in Australia MM.  Your country, Canada and the U.S. all have placed the film among the very best of the year.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: Today at 06:15:47 PM »
O.K. guys, I hope you don't mind me posting about the box office all the time, but i'm enthused about how LB has been performing.  Although the estimates can vary a bit from the actuals that will be posted tomorrow, the people crunching the estimates have very sophisticated data enabling them to be uncannily accurate in most cases.  Technically, LB is a "limited" film this weekend because screen count is under 1,000.  However, the film looks to place fairly comfortably in the 10th spot despite dropping 610 screens.  It dropped a very respectable 38% and change despite the theater loss and the film being in its 7th week.  The film is approximately 1.9 million from becoming A24's top grosser in its brief history.  I can't predict the week to come and next weekend due to the reduced theater count, but it seems very possible LB can break the record at the conclusion of next weekend.

10.    Lady Bird   A24   $2,108,117   -38.9%   947   -610   $2,226   $25,977,506   -   7

BTW, as I suspected, The Disaster Artist had a nearly 60% drop in only its second week despite adding a small number of theaters.  I just felt it is more of an arthouse film with a decent group of Franco fans who gave it such a big first week.  However, the film's box office is going to diminish fast based upon this weekend's results.