Author Topic: Mary, Queen of Scots  (Read 5871 times)

trvscrosley

• View Profile
Re: Mary, Queen of Scots
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
According to someone over on AW, Saoirse will speak French at the beginning of the film and, once returning to Scotland, speak with the accent we see in the trailer (with a Gaelic monologue at the end). Also found this guy who says the accent is actually very well done according to the Edinburgh region and he doesn't have any complaints with it via the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUp_wrGHbc

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:02:23 PM by trvscrosley »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
According to someone over on AW, Saoirse will speak French at the beginning of the film and, once returning to Scotland, speak with the accent we see in the trailer (with a Gaelic monologue at the end). Also found this guy who says the accent is actually very well done according to the Edinburgh region and he doesn't have any complaints with it via the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUp_wrGHbc

Another informative post Travis.  Here is more or less what I wrote on Hollywood Elsewhere yesterday in anticipation of the accent police.  Mary spent most (probably all) of her formative years in France.  For those history nerds who are looking at the trailer, I could envision them gripping because Mary must have had a French accent when speaking English.  Of course if Saoirse went full on Scottish, then the audience (outside Scotland etc.) might have a very difficult time understanding the dialogue.  So, isn't it sensible for Saoirse to do a light Scottish accent in the film?  I'm also sure MR had no difficulty using an English accent in the film.  She sounded fine to me in "About Time."

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »
According to someone over on AW, Saoirse will speak French at the beginning of the film and, once returning to Scotland, speak with the accent we see in the trailer (with a Gaelic monologue at the end).
Unquote

Mary spent most (probably all) of her formative years in France.  For those history nerds who are looking at the trailer, I could envision them gripping because Mary must have had a French accent when speaking English.  Of course if Saoirse went full on Scottish, then the audience (outside Scotland etc.) might have a very difficult time understanding the dialogue.  So, isn't it sensible for Saoirse to do a light Scottish accent in the film?
Unquote

I remember posting something about this months ago.  Found it:

Mary’s first language was lowland Scots, her second language was French.  She only spoke English with difficulty after learning it when held in captivity.  I guess in the film Mary will speak English with a Scottish accent.  Interesting as to whether any French characters will feature in the film and whether Mary will speak any French.
Unquote

Mary wrote her letters in French.  Makes sense I guess, because no one outside Scotland would understand the Scots language.

Practically speaking, she was always going to be speaking English with a (mild) Scottish accent in the film.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:16:12 PM by MMSouth »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2018, 10:51:11 AM »
A matter of scale.  Some key persons associated with MQOS have posted the trailer on Instagram recently:

Saoirse: No Instagram
Josie Rourke: 1,941 views, 43 comments
Jack Lowden: 9,271 views, 98 comments
Margot Robbie: 3,821,159 views, 12,000 comments (and counting)

That's at least one reason why Margot was cast!!!