Author Topic: Saoirse news thread....  (Read 6169 times)

jlent

• View Profile
Re: Saoirse news thread....
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »
Filming for MQOS apparently pushed back to September.

"Alex Pickford, who jointly runs Piece of Cake casting, said: “We are looking for hundreds of men who are basically of fighting age to join Queen Mary’s Army for the film."
Saoirse's going to have her own army. Pretty cool.

"Star-studded." I like the sound of that:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/1160675/casting-company-seeks-a-tartan-army-to-join-saoirse-ronan-and-margot-robbie-on-the-silver-screen/

canvro

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Filming for MQOS apparently pushed back to September.

So she won't be attending fall film festivals?

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
The bookstore I visited today didn't have the title, but I ordered it and should have it soon.  I gather they're using "hundreds" of extras for battle scenes due to them likely not having much of a budget for CGI.  Overall, the cast is quite impressive around her, and I'm positive about the production because WT has been developing it for a long time.  I very much enjoy the films they produce.

@canvro  We'll have to wait and see whether her films hit it big or are anticipated to be players in the awards' season.  If either OCB and/or Lady Bird fit the profile, my guess is they would make her available to do pub for promotional purposes at the festivals.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2017, 11:54:51 AM »
Quote from JLent"
"Filming for MQOS apparently pushed back to September."

Isn't Sweetness in the Belly supposed to be filming during the northern autumn?  Sounds like a scheduling nightmare.  It could end up like last year where she had to shoot two films back to back which she doesn't like to do.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
Steve, I saw "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk."
The movie has its problems. It tries to cram a ridiculous amount of detail in the space of the day of a football game just to make the point soldiers don't fight for God and Country, they fight for their fellow troops in their unit.
But the movie is certainly good enough not to have bombed.
Alwyn was excellent. He really holds the screen. He's also beautiful, which annoys me slightly, being of the same gender and thinking I come up a bit short compared to him, but I think he'll be excellent in MQOS.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:40:21 PM by jlent »

Bella

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »
Quote from JLent"
"Filming for MQOS apparently pushed back to September."

Isn't Sweetness in the Belly supposed to be filming during the northern autumn?  Sounds like a scheduling nightmare.  It could end up like last year where she had to shoot two films back to back which she doesn't like to do.

Yeah, I wish this was cleared up. I read on the Variety article about the other actor cast that it's shooting this summer. I was expecting next month. I don't know whether to take the Scotland article as accurate, but then I guess it could make sense since this is a big-ish production. How will she promote her other films then? I hope Sweetness in the Belly stays in development, and she finds another project.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2017, 10:10:38 PM »
Did you see it in the speeded up frame rate, or was that just shown in Theaters?  I'm usually a pretty decent judge of trailers, but the film was pulled so fast despite appearing to be one that would've played well in middle America. 

Acting wise, I felt his part was rather slight (TSOAE) in the sense he didn't have much dialogue nor much screen time in general.  He looks to be a nice match for MR.  Isn't the character he's playing the man who Elizabeth really loved?

I would've posted sooner, but for some strange reason, I didn't receive an updated email notification when you made the very last post.       

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
You gotta make sure that little box stays on "NOTIFY." It's dropped out on me a couple of times. I downloaded BLLHW from Amazon and it was the standard 24 fps, or what passes for that on a home screen. There were only two theaters in America that could play the film as it was intended and only a few more than that around the world. The film was a complex downer, more a city film than for middle America, even if it was set there. I actually liked it a lot. Yes, Alwyn was Elizabeth's lover. I know he didn't have a whole lot to do in TSOAE, but he was riveting in what he was given.
I think he's in every scene in BLLHW. It was definitely supposed to be the same kind of star-making role TLB was meant to be for Saoirse, only no one told the audience about either. BLLHW made $30 million on it $40 million budget.
His character in MQOS is also engaged to Mary but he doesn't go through with it.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
I see.  I'm glad I'll be receiving the book soon in order to become much more acquainted with characters.  I know more about Elizabeth than the others because of a couple of films and a bio I read a very long time ago.

Different subject, but what did you think of WW?  I suppose it's gender politics, but a few people putting her name out there regarding the best actress category is rather absurd. 

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:52 AM »
WW was OK, nothing more. Summer blockbusters only go so far. They're like a moving amusement park about as nourishing as the cotton candy you find at one.
The movie is feminist only in that women do take on their own empowerment, but it's still a man's world. The male lead has to teach her about love to get her to move forward.
I do have a political bone to pick, but it's not about feminism, it's about the female lead, Gal Gadot. I'm a big supporter of Palestinian rights and Gadot, who was in the IDF, was herself a big supporter of the 2012 bombing of Gaza, which killed thousands of Gazans and, IMO, was a horrifying war crime. But, whatever it was, it goes against everything WW supposedly stands for so I have zero tolerance for Gadot. If I had known about her beforehand - I only knew was in the IDF, but it's mandatory for every Israeli - I would have avoided the movie like the plague.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2017, 01:50:06 AM »
I remember a trailer with the actor who played the lead on Mad Men and her as his wife.  It was suppose to be a comedy where the couple next door befriends them, but they turn out to be badass spies or something nefarious.  In any event, I never saw the film but did remember seeing her for the first time.  I just knew the very basics about her background but not the specifics in your post. 

I brought it up because despite the casting director making the right choice for this kind of film, we obviously do not see the type of range and nuance one expects from a nominee.  There are just five slots, and there will be a lot of big name talent in films coming up in the fall/winter.  I understand the female director is now the first to have a pic with huge grosses, and I'm happy for the breakthrough as it may encourage the bigwigs to hire more female directing talent, but I don't buy the push from some who are trying to give the film and its star a nudge with an eye towards awards' season.  The one who should be getting early buzz for best actress is Cynthia Nixon.  She was terrific In "A Quiet Passion."  However, despite strong critical praise, virtually no one has seen nor will see the film.  Not fair. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:53:01 AM by Steve 7216 »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
Loving Vincent won the audience award for feature films at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival.

Quote (Loving Vincent Newsletter, Monday 19th June)
The Loving Vincent team have had a wonderful time this week in Annecy! Our screenings were an instant sellout, and the film's world premiere on Tuesday went down a storm, with a standing ovation following this first ever screening. To top of a brilliant week, last night at the closing ceremony, the film won the Audience Award - voted for by festival goers themselves.
Fresh from Annecy, Loving Vincent will screen in competition at the Shanghai International Film Festival next week. Upcoming screenings have also been confirmed in Russia at the Moscow International Film Festival, in Greece at Melitazz Festival and in Australia at the Melbourne International Film Festival.
Unquote
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:22:29 PM by MMSouth »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
The casting call for extras on MQOS says:

Piece of Cake Casting Ltd
• 13 June at 07:42 • 
***CASTING IN FORT WILLIAM, SCOTLAND*** We are holding a casting on the 24th June at the Nevis Centre, Fort William for the feature film of Mary Queen of Scots. If you live locally, or have friends and family that do, please share this with them. - PLEASE UP LOAD YOUR PHOTOS AND MEASUREMENTS https://www.pieceofcakecasting.com/become-an-artiste/

Male Film Extras Wanted, "Mary Queen of Scots", Men Wanted as Queen Mary's Army, filming in Scotland Sept '17.

***CASTING EXTRAS*** Mary Queen of Scots Feature Film produced by Working Title Films is filming in BOTH OXFORD AND EDINBURGH. If you or someone you know lives close to these locations and would like to be part of this epic feature film please do share this information with them

Maybe the extras heavy scenes are filmed in September but some of the other filming occurs earlier?

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »
Excellent news about LV MM.

It's certainly possible other parts of the production could be shot earlier than the extra scenes referred to in the article.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
Yes, second unit filming after primary filming and not involving Saoirse at all.
That works for me!