Author Topic: Saoirse news thread....  (Read 6167 times)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
Re: Saoirse news thread....
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »
According to Deadline Hollywood, another fine actor has been added to MQOS:

http://tinyurl.com/y8r7om8v

I did see him in "The Disappearance of Alice Creed" some years ago on DVD.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
Another fine young actress has been addd to MQOS:

Mary Queen of Scots

Maria Dragus has been cast as Mary Fleming, a Scottish noblewoman and childhood companion of Mary Stuart.

She joins Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie, Joe Alwyn, Martin Compston, and Jack Lowden in the Josie Rourke-directed film.

Beau Willimon wrote the script, based upon the book by John Guy.

http://tinyurl.com/ycwvg5t2

She played the female lead in Cristian Mungiu's "Graduation."  I saw it a few months ago.  It was a good film if not the very best from this great Romanian director.  In addition, if memory serves, she also played the daughter of the household in "The White Ribbon" from the great Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke.  It's been quite a while since I've seen the film, but I think she was the one toward the end who killed her father's (a real prick) little pet bird.   :)

The casting news the past month plus is evidence they intend to fill this film with a bunch of young talent. 

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »
In addition, if memory serves, she also played the daughter of the household in "The White Ribbon" from the great Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke.  It's been quite a while since I've seen the film, but I think she was the one toward the end who killed her father's (a real prick) little pet bird.   :)
Yes, she did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPJxt6Vj2l4
Damn, I missed this film, but was a huge fan of his previous "Caché" with Juliet Binoche. In between these two films he did a remake of his earlier German language version of "Funny Games" with Naomi Watts, which I declined to see because it sounded too grim. Haneke is a brilliant if really disturbing writer-director but it shows Dragus has inquisitive tastes.

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »
Oh Yeah she was great in The Graduation, it will be interesting to see she acting alongside Saoirse.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2017, 12:24:40 AM »
@jlent  It's been a while since I watched "Caché", but the last film of his I saw was "Amour."  It's definitely true what you said  about him in your post: there is a disturbing quality and I guess enigmatic elements in his works.  Amour was more straightforward, but it turned out be be very intense and shocking when the husband made his decision late in the film. 

@poetswan  It's very apparent now with this latest casting news that the people making these decisions are really going after very talented young actresses/actors.  Although they are quite different films, MQOS reminds me of Brooklyn because Saoirse is being surrounded with terrific talent.  Hopefully, the supporting parts in MQOS will be of a high quality and integral to the film like Brooklyn. 

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
Shanghai International Film Festival, Sunday 25th June
Award for Best Animation Film: LOVING VINCENT
‘Never has there been a film that spoke to the heart of an artist like “Loving Vincent”. Animation and fine art painting come together in this loving tribute to the work and life of a master artist.’

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Very welcome news MM.  My hunch is this film should do well commercially in Europe for a non-mainstreamer, but I wonder how it'll do here given people tend to see the blockbuster type animation films from the big studios.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »
Good news day today.  Loving Vincent now has U.S. distribution:

http://tinyurl.com/ybegmgoo

Prasad

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »
If all goes well Saoirse Ronan might get nominated again for Oscars from Mary Queen Of Scotts ,and might even win an Oscar because Mary role is quite intense .

Bella

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2017, 03:20:11 AM »
So, TIFF will start announcing their film lineup on Tuesday I think? Fingers crossed at least one of Saoirse's makes it  ::)

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
Galway Girl hit 200 million views on You Tube today.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
I don't really know where to put this so I'll put it here. I just want to say, at this point in time, I'm happy Saoirse has never been involved in a Weinstein project.

CountJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2017, 02:58:35 AM »
I don't really know where to put this so I'll put it here. I just want to say, at this point in time, I'm happy Saoirse has never been involved in a Weinstein project.

Yes. I would be worried about what happened if she was  >:(

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:37 AM »
Tomris Laffly (@TomiLaffly), Freelance

“Atonement”

Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement.” Briony Tallis is an incredibly complex part that demands a child actor convey turbulent emotions well beyond her years. Ronan coolly nails Briony’s determination, driven by jealousy, resentment and confusion, not only with her face but also her body language. Her every step is filled with purpose and each one of her gazes mean something. I can’t imagine any other child actor in her place who can maintain such a villainous look in her eyes while observing Robbie and Cecilia from the window. Ronan simply leaves me speechless. It’s no surprise that she’s grown into one of the finest, most accomplished actors of her generation.

The above is from Indiewire.  Many of their contributors were asked to name the best child performance ever.

http://tinyurl.com/ycwmg2fc

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:15 AM »
Good to hear Tomris mention her! I think the ability for Saoirse to play such a diverse range of characters that were never "kiddy" roles with seemingly basic kid traits allowed her to make the transition into the adult roles she takes on now. Haven't seen a young actor be able to do what she did since then when it comes to not just seeing a kid playing a kid.