Author Topic: Saoirse news thread....  (Read 6168 times)

MMSouth

• View Profile
Re: Saoirse news thread....
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
Quote (Tomris Laffly)
Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement.” Briony Tallis is an incredibly complex part that demands a child actor convey turbulent emotions well beyond her years. Ronan coolly nails Briony’s determination, driven by jealousy, resentment and confusion, not only with her face but also her body language. Her every step is filled with purpose and each one of her gazes mean something. I can’t imagine any other child actor in her place who can maintain such a villainous look in her eyes while observing Robbie and Cecilia from the window. Ronan simply leaves me speechless. It’s no surprise that she’s grown into one of the finest, most accomplished actors of her generation.
Unquote

This is exactly the point I was trying to make when I rated Saoirse’s performance in Atonement as her best, ahead of her performance in Brooklyn.  What she did with Briony was just about off the scale compared to what other kid actresses could have done with the part.

They should have included the young girl who played Scout in "To Kill a Mockingbird" on the list.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:05:27 AM by MMSouth »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
It is a great performance indeed, but the article is specifically about exceptional child performances.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »
If her performance in Lady Bird is as good as some critics have suggested then there may no longer be any need to discuss Brooklyn vs Atonement.  (!?!)

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »
If her performance in Lady Bird is as good as some critics have suggested then there may no longer be any need to discuss Brooklyn vs Atonement.  (!?!)

Why "versus"? They form a progression. Atonement was a performance by a 12-year-old girl. Brooklyn was a performance by a young woman no longer a child. One can have a favorite. Atonement will always be my favorite. One, because it was my introduction to Saoirse. Two, because it was based on possibly my favorite character in English literature from one of my favorite novels that I had read five years before the movie came out. I wouldn't even be here if Saoirse had not been in Atonement.
But there is no competition or any objectivity to my opinion. It is what it is. Both performances are wonderful.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2017, 10:25:19 AM »
Well said.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
Didn't know where to put this, but I think this is the first time I've seen Saoirse in "Proof" before she broke out in film. Wonder if I can somehow find the full episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp7XyiB7Tnc

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2017, 01:18:00 AM »
With the opening of the film shortly, I suspect Saoirse will be around for a while to do promotional stuff:

http://tinyurl.com/y8h6rwqr

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »
Don't know if we want to add a Seagull thread, but FINALLY some news!

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2017, 12:08:55 AM »
Don't know if we want to add a Seagull thread, but FINALLY some news!

How many times did I post about The Seagull being the type of film Sony Classics usually acquires?

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
Saoirse scheduled for Fallon on 3 November....

http://tinyurl.com/y8v4jsyk

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »

Link doesn't work, but I guess this means filming MQOS is finished. I hadn't heard anything.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:40:40 PM by jlent »

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »
Looks like she might do the press rounds after all! I would assume thing means MQOS is either done filming or Saoirse has wrapped her stuff and they are doing side stuff.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2017, 12:50:41 AM »

Link doesn't work, but I guess this means filming MQOS is finished. I hadn't heard anything.

Hello Jim.  I've recently spent time reading the newer reactions/reviews on Letterboxd, and for the most part, those screening the film at festivals like London, New York and Middleburg have been over the moon about the film.  Fine review from The Village Voice as well.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2017, 12:55:23 AM »
Looks like she might do the press rounds after all! I would assume thing means MQOS is either done filming or Saoirse has wrapped her stuff and they are doing side stuff.

It's happening trvscrosley.  She was at the end of MQOS while the N. American festivals were in progress, but I've no doubt Saoirse will be everywhere to promote LB from here to the end of the "circuit".

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2017, 09:34:25 PM »
Take a look at this link from an Irish TV serial.  She had "it" even at age nine.  It must be just innate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BayFKd6AMii/?taken-by=saoirse_ronans