Author Topic: What directors, actors and critics have to say about her  (Read 710 times)

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
Re: What directors, actors and critics have to say about her
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
Here's the one I referred to Mark:

Thanks Steve, I had heard this before (downloaded it from the BBC iPlayer) but hadn't seen the video footage, and you're absolutely right. I can only begin to imagine how many treats like this we've got to look forward to later on this year with the 4 movies Saoirse is starring in coming out! Thank you for sharing.
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
Hello Poetswan.  Nice to see you post.  That's another great compliment from an actress who has been around a while and done stage, film and television.

I was busy with college, tests every week, but now I will be abble to post more :) How are you doing btw?
Saoirse news have been quite slow.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
@Dani  Thanks for posting the comments from Gerwig.  Many of the posters here are aware of the topic concerning her talent and how to describe it because we discussed it quite a lot on the IMDB board.  I've said many times it'd be easier if I had professional writing skills because I've written about this topic and can sound cliched.  However, I sincerely agree with Gerwig's reaction to her when interviewed by Kris Tapley.  When in doubt, just put the camera up in her face!   ;D  In addition, the "savant" comment rings true as she indeed just draws upon some "natural" current quite easily in her films.  I've previously observed that there's something frequently unexplainable about how she "pops" on film.  It's like she has this intuitive sense of projecting herself sometimes so subtly through the particular medium of film.  Even in her most (easily) poorly rated film The Host, there's such a stunning presence in so many scenes, and she's able to pull off things others simply could not.  For example, when she's seated at the table with the others who're fascinated about her past lives and nature, one might feel the dialogue is ridiculous, but you actually believe her character due to the intense sincerity Saoirse projects.  She amazing, and at just 22, her best work is ahead.

@Mark  My pleasure.  Did you view the entire play?  When I used the original link from the email, it played fine for me.  However, if I attempt to open the file now, Quicktime won't do it.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I might open and play it?

@Poetswan.  I do hope your tests went well.  It's nice that you'll have a little break now.  We've gone through these slow times quite a bit in the past.  It's due to the nature of the business.  The happy news is she should have multiple films (how many I don't know) out this year, and I'm very please Saoirse has two more projects definitely going into production during the balance of this year.

I want to recommend a film I recently viewed because I know you're really into film.  It's the best I've seen in a while: Frantz  It's a beautiful if meloncholy film easily outclassing anything I've viewed so far in 2017.  In a little while, I'm off to watch a highly rated Japanese film called "After the Storm."     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:09:10 PM by Steve 7216 »

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
@Poetswan.  I do hope your tests went well.  It's nice that you'll have a little break now.  We've gone through these slow times quite a bit in the past.  It's due to the nature of the business.  The happy news is she should have multiple films (how many I don't know) out this year, and I'm very please Saoirse has two more projects definitely going into production during the balance of this year.

I want to recommend a film I recently viewed because I know you're really into film.  It's the best I've seen in a while: Frantz  It's a beautiful if meloncholy film easily outclassing anything I've viewed so far in 2017.  In a little while, I'm off to watch a highly rated Japanese film called "After the Storm."     

Thanks for the recommendation Steve, i watched "Silence" recently, which was definitely one of Scorcese's bests, but also a really awful movie i found on netflix called "Pieles", so i am in need of something good to watch. I had seen the trailer for "Frantz" before and i was quite intrigued by it, but  had totally forgotten to watch, i will check it out now that you've mentioned it  :)

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »
I love what Jason Isaacs said in interviews for Stockholm Pensylvania:

"I think Saoirse Ronan is a genius, frankly, as an actress, and she managed to convey with just a twitch of an eyebrow what most people do in ten pages of dialogue. And what you get from her, is you’re never not aware that she spent 20 years in a basement with a man she kind of loved, and also was horrified by. And my presence is a tribute to her brilliance," he explained to threeifbyspace.net, adding that the script derives from a play writer Nikole Beckwith penned. "Who takes, as a starting point, a woman released from a basement after 20 years, and does something so surprising with it, that it doesn’t go anywhere you think it’s going to go."

http://www.pearlanddean.com/news/jason-isaacs-saoirse-ronan-outstanding

I’m nine times her age, I’ve been a huge fan of Saoirse Ronan for long, long time. I just think she’s got it, whatever it is, she’s got it. And there’s just something that happens to her when someone calls action that she’s absolutely is in the moment and transforms.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/jason-isaacs-stockholm-pennsylvania-saorise-ronan-1201430627/

I think he really liked working with her.

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
@Mark  My pleasure.  Did you view the entire play?  When I used the original link from the email, it played fine for me.  However, if I attempt to open the file now, Quicktime won't do it.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I might open and play it?

I did, it brought back a lot of memories of this time last year! Thank you again for sending it. It played fine for me on my Mac and also through Kodi on my TV. Have you tried using VLC ( www.videolan.org ) to play it?

For those of you here who are curious about Lady Bird, I watched Frances Ha (co-written by and starring Greta Gerwig) not long ago, and it was such a great movie. If the warmth and awkward humour of this movie is anything like what's to come in Lady Bird we'll be in for a treat.
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 05:31:07 PM »
Ed Sheeran talked about working with Saoirse on the " Galway Girl" videoclip:

" I was shooting some of the video myself at some points where I'm holding the camera," he recounted. "She, off-screen, is normal and just like a cool person and as soon as the camera goes on her she just turns... It was a really phenomenal thing to watch. I've never really seen a young actor or actress that good. She's really talented."

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/music/2017/0413/867472-ed-sheeran-galway/

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
Poetswan, it reminds me of the recently posted comments from Gerwig.  When the singer-songwriter describes what he witnessed while the video was being shot, it is this "current" (I'm sure there are better terms) she taps into as a result of a gift residing inside her.  I'm certain this can explained more eloquently, but nonetheless, the talent is just part of her being.   

Dani

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 02:45:45 AM »
@Dani  Thanks for posting the comments from Gerwig.  Many of the posters here are aware of the topic concerning her talent and how to describe it because we discussed it quite a lot on the IMDB board.  I've said many times it'd be easier if I had professional writing skills because I've written about this topic and can sound cliched.  However, I sincerely agree with Gerwig's reaction to her when interviewed by Kris Tapley.  When in doubt, just put the camera up in her face!   ;D  In addition, the "savant" comment rings true as she indeed just draws upon some "natural" current quite easily in her films.  I've previously observed that there's something frequently unexplainable about how she "pops" on film.  It's like she has this intuitive sense of projecting herself sometimes so subtly through the particular medium of film.  Even in her most (easily) poorly rated film The Host, there's such a stunning presence in so many scenes, and she's able to pull off things others simply could not.  For example, when she's seated at the table with the others who're fascinated about her past lives and nature, one might feel the dialogue is ridiculous, but you actually believe her character due to the intense sincerity Saoirse projects.  She amazing, and at just 22, her best work is ahead.     

"It's like she has this intuitive sense of projecting herself sometimes so subtly through the particular medium of film." Exactly. I couldn't have said it better. See, you may not think so but you've got quite the skills to describe her talent! haha

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 01:25:42 AM »
This is a nice one from a writer contributing to a website called Zeke Films:

November 20, 2015 by Sharon Autenrieth:

And now, to give credit where credit is due: Nick Hornby adapted Brooklyn from Colm Toíbín’s novel, bringing his reliably witty and accessible style to the screenplay. Director John Crowley has made a film of stunning visual beauty, richly colored and textured. The supporting cast (Jim Broadbent, Julie Walters, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson) is terrific.

But Brooklyn rises or falls on the performance of Saoirse Ronan – and she soars. Eilis is not one of the “giddy girls” that so irritate her landlady. She is a smart, ambitious, young woman. Eilis never comes across as the cliché wide eyed ingenue, but simply as a young woman who has not had a range of experiences. As her horizons expand she grows more confident, more willing to take risks for the life that she wants. Ronan never makes a misstep in her performance, and so far seems to have made precious few missteps in her entire career. She’s captivating on screen, not simply because she’s lovely (although she is), but because she seems absolutely immersed, utterly present in every second of her roles. There are few actors who can do as much with just their eyes as Soairse Ronan. In Brooklyn, she gazes out at us from the screen and draws us into a timeless immigrant’s tale.

http://tinyurl.com/llfp86f

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
Bill Murray appeared on David Letterman's show to talk about City Of Ember and had some very nice things to say...

This is the female lead, a young girl named Saoirse Ronan. This girl is… this girl is gonna be like Elizabeth Taylor. You’re gonna see this girl for the rest of her life. She is, uh, like, sent from above. A beautiful person, a beautiful actress… you know, just beautiful. And a delight to be with. This is a really exciting film, this is one of the best things I’ve ever done. I’m really lucky.

CountJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
Let's hope we do see her in movies for the rest of our lives. That was a good one from Bill Murray.  :)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
I remember watching the video years ago.  It was a nice and certainly an accurate observation by him.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
An oldie but goodie, and I had never seen it before. James McAvoy, on working with Saoirse on Atonement:

MG: Will you tell us a little bit about working with Saoirse Ronan, who is amazing as young Briony?

JM: Yes! She’s brilliant in the film. Tell you what it is, she – when you’re looking for a kid, you’re just looking for someone who can act; you’re just looking for someone to be natural. And you go, ‘This is the script, and they’re gonna do whatever the fuck they’re wanna do, but I don’t care as the filmmaker, because they’re incredible and they can be truthful and which is the hardest thing to find. So, let them do what they need to do and all the other actors, fit in! Make it work somehow!’ And what’s incredible about Saoirse is she’s not like that. She was 12 years old when she made this film,  I think – she lambasted me in a Q&A for getting her age wrong the other day - she was 12 years old when she made this film and she can imagine what it is. It’s not life experience that she’s drawing from but she can imagine what it is to be someone else, not just her being dead natural in front of a camera and I think that’s what’s remarkable about her. And I loved being with her. I’ve been very lucky, I’ve worked with a lot of brilliant kids in my career and it’s something that I hope I get to do a lot cos it means I can have a lot of fun that I wouldn’t necessarily have. It was a great privilege being with Saoirse, I loved being with her.

http://www.thedivareview.com/Atonement_Interview.html

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
Nice.  I haven't seen that one before jlent.