Author Topic: On Chesil Beach  (Read 8291 times)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
Re: On Chesil Beach
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2018, 10:57:16 PM »
Not that it's unexpected, but she has a certain glow, intensity and wow presence in these scenes.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2018, 12:24:39 AM »
Wait until you see the main scene on the beach...

A new UK press article about On Chesil Beach can be found at the link below.  Saoirse may have been interviewed for this article during the filming in late 2016 rather than recently.  It's hard to be sure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5689409/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Saoirse-Ronan-tells-fears-social-media.html

Note the following paragraph:
"We’ll be seeing Saoirse again in January when director Josie Rourke’s debut film for Working Title, Mary, Queen Of Scots, opens (though it will most likely play the autumn film festivals first)."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:25:20 AM by MMSouth »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »
Quality interview from The Times.  Saoirse and Ian McEwan talking about OCB.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e45533ae-551d-11e8-9795-08ef69e784e8

How could Ronan — fair, blue-eyed and in a skittish summer frock from the designer label The Vampire’s Wife — forget the Chesil beach scene? It was November in Dorset and, between takes, she was plied with blankets and hot water bottles.
“Bloody cold,” she says. “And I got tonsillitis afterwards, but the atmosphere became such a big part of that scene. It was so windy, especially for me. The wind was in my face for most of it, and you’re battling against that while trying to remain delicate and open and vulnerable.”
Unquote

Ian McEwan also clarifies to a certain extent what happened between Florence and her father on the yacht.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
Quality interview from The Times.  Saoirse and Ian McEwan talking about OCB.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e45533ae-551d-11e8-9795-08ef69e784e8

How could Ronan — fair, blue-eyed and in a skittish summer frock from the designer label The Vampire’s Wife — forget the Chesil beach scene? It was November in Dorset and, between takes, she was plied with blankets and hot water bottles.
“Bloody cold,” she says. “And I got tonsillitis afterwards, but the atmosphere became such a big part of that scene. It was so windy, especially for me. The wind was in my face for most of it, and you’re battling against that while trying to remain delicate and open and vulnerable.”
Unquote

Ian McEwan also clarifies to a certain extent what happened between Florence and her father on the yacht.

Nice find MM.  Coincidentally, I recently gave "The Times" my name and email in order to read an article, and although I believe they allowed me only two per month, doing so has paid off today.  :)

Unlike some readers, I missed the very subtle clues regarding her father when I read the novel.  Subsequently when the subject was broached, I assumed he had raped his daughter, but IM provides a different but no less disturbing explanation in this article.

Unlike the director and BH, Saoirse always knows exactly where the camera is judging by that pic.  The regulars here have always displayed very good manners when posting, and I want to maintain this standard.  However, I wish to say-delicately I hope-that Saoirse looks a little different "up top" in this picture.  I'm not making a big deal of it or anything, but I couldn't help but notice.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
On Chesil Beach received a firm thumbs up from A.O. Scott of the New York Times.  I'll post a section about Saoirse here and provide the link to the whole review.  Close your eyes Jim, for A.O. feels its a better film than Atonement:  8)

This makes Florence and Edward’s world both beautiful and distant. The job of bringing it nearer and adding a human dimension to the beauty falls to Saoirse Ronan and Billy Howle, who are more than up to the task. Ms. Ronan may be the keenest, subtlest, smartest actress under 30 working in movies today, and while Mr. Howle’s is a less familiar face, it is one of those faces you can’t stop observing. He has some of the half-rough, half-pretty charisma of a young Michael York, and he plays Edward with a perfect blend of diffidence and defensiveness.

http://tinyurl.com/yd6yoxcb

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
On Chesil Beach received a firm thumbs up from A.O. Scott of the New York Times.  I'll post a section about Saoirse here and provide the link to the whole review.  Close your eyes Jim, for A.O. feels its a better film than Atonement:  8)

It's OK. I'm well aware of Atonement's flaws.  Once I watched the movie and then turned it off just before the ending and switched to the last chapter of the book. I love it mostly because of the book, which is decidedly better than the movie, but the movie introduced the world to Saoirse and that will never change.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
There's so many good reviews coming out for both films (including the A.O Scott one) that praise the acting even if the films themselves seem mixed. Have to link the RS / Peter Travers one:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/on-chesil-beach-movie-review-saoirse-ronan-w520318

Saoirse Ronan, the 24-year-old Irish actress and three-time Oscar nominee, seems anointed to make every film she's in exponentially better – and On Chesil Beach is no exception. She's glorious, as she always is. But even Ronan can't totally cut through the academic stuffiness that comes with this posh literary adaptation.

------

Ronan and Howle, now also costarring in The Seagull, are heartbreakingly good as a couple who can't see past their innocence and inexperience. He is definitely is an actor to watch (see also: Dunkirk); she is, of course, capable of miracles and you watch Ronan with the rapt attention you give to someone with a God-given talent.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:51:46 PM by trvscrosley »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »
This is spot on:

On the beach, they argue instead of talk, causing a rift that may be impossible to bridge, and it's here that the film comes thrillingly alive. Ronan and Howle, now also costarring in The Seagull, are heartbreakingly good...
Unquote

The first portion of the main beach scene is so good.  Then it lulls and comes back again.  Ebb and flow.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2018, 12:01:26 AM »

It's OK. I'm well aware of Atonement's flaws.  Once I watched the movie and then turned it off just before the ending and switched to the last chapter of the book. I love it mostly because of the book, which is decidedly better than the movie, but the movie introduced the world to Saoirse and that will never change.

I obviously haven't seen OCB, but given all we know I'd be surprised if it's as good as Atonement.  I posted because A.O.'s opinion surprised me given Atonement was Oscar nominated and the like.  Wright and Hampton did a fine job of making and writing the film IMO.  It's quite a complex novel to translate into a roughly two-hour feature film.

BTW, Gateway has a beautiful standee of the film with Owen G's (Variety) review printed upon it.  Next time I go there, I'm going to ask the manager if I can have it once they are done with it.  :)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:44 AM »
There's so many good reviews coming out for both films (including the A.O Scott one) that praise the acting even if the films themselves seem mixed. Have to link the RS / Peter Travers one:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/on-chesil-beach-movie-review-saoirse-ronan-w520318

Saoirse Ronan, the 24-year-old Irish actress and three-time Oscar nominee, seems anointed to make every film she's in exponentially better – and On Chesil Beach is no exception. She's glorious, as she always is. But even Ronan can't totally cut through the academic stuffiness that comes with this posh literary adaptation.

------

Ronan and Howle, now also costarring in The Seagull, are heartbreakingly good as a couple who can't see past their innocence and inexperience. He is definitely is an actor to watch (see also: Dunkirk); she is, of course, capable of miracles and you watch Ronan with the rapt attention you give to someone with a God-given talent.

Yes, the point about her talent is one we've made many times through the years on the IMDB boards.  It's wonderful to be blessed with a special gift, and she has it in spades.  Never formally trained....it doesn't matter. 

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »
This is spot on:

On the beach, they argue instead of talk, causing a rift that may be impossible to bridge, and it's here that the film comes thrillingly alive. Ronan and Howle, now also costarring in The Seagull, are heartbreakingly good...
Unquote

The first portion of the main beach scene is so good.  Then it lulls and comes back again.  Ebb and flow.

She has been a critics' darling since the beginning, and the praise just keeps rolling along.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
Quote (Steve)
I obviously haven't seen OCB, but given all we know I'd be surprised if it's as good as Atonement.  I posted because A.O.'s opinion surprised me given Atonement was Oscar nominated and the like.  Wright and Hampton did a fine job of making and writing the film IMO.  It's quite a complex novel to translate into a roughly two-hour feature film.
Unquote

Atonement and OCB are so different in scope.  Atonement was a lavish production, especially the Dunkirk sequence.  But it peaks in the first two acts, the last two acts can't keep up, partly because the older Brionys just can't match it with Saoirse, partly because the hospital is a bit of a letdown after the Tallis estate and the French countryside, and partly because the final act is rather misconceived.  On the other hand OCB builds up to a climax on the beach, then the fast moving coda depicting the ramifications down the years fits neatly on the end.  Both books were structurally difficult to adapt to the screen, both had a lot of shifting time sequences, both hinge on a single decision at a single moment in time.  In fact there are some similarities in structure between the two films.  Overall I tend to think that OCB flows more evenly than Atonement, but I'd rate Atonement above OCB due to its grander themes and scale.

Link to BBC2 Interview with Saoirse for OCB.  Scroll to 1:39:00, just after Fleetwood Mac.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b25npb#play

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:33:54 AM by MMSouth »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »
OCH has of course garnered mixed reviews, but the film has the admiration of some top critics.  We've posted The New York Times review, and now the experienced and respected Kenneth Turan of The Los Angeles Times has just released a very strong and enthusiastic write-up on the film.  Here is in part what he said about Saoirse:

Here under the able and discreet direction of Dominic Cooke, making his feature debut after a notable theater career, Ronan gives the kind of extraordinary performance we've come to expect, allowing us through looks and glances to see directly into young Florence Ponting's soul.

Here is the link to the terrific review:

http://tinyurl.com/y9bn7zyu

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2018, 03:41:00 AM »
Guess what I saw tonight. Same place I saw The Seagull less than a week ago.
Two Saoirse movies in one week. An abundance of wonderment. As for quality, I'd say On Chesil Beach is a better movie, but The Seagull is more fun. It's not that OCB is a slog, but it does come off as a bit dry and clinical, at least in places, as if they were checking off boxes they felt they needed to explain character. But all was forgiven in the last half hour, which was wonderful. The three women sitting in front of me who were laughing a lot became silent during that time;  some person in the row across from me was sobbing (so was I, just more quietly.)

But the book never felt clinical. I understand the problem. The story of book is the wedding night, the flashbacks are condiments to the main course. The movie feels almost as if the flashbacks are telling the story, statically, and it throws the balance off. But knowing that will help me in my next viewing.
The acting was stellar, of course. I feel honored I'm allowed to be in the company of such people. Saoirse hits it out of the park, as usual - wait until you see her acting in old age makeup.  But Billy is right there with her. Every actor is. So I'll be seeing it many times.     

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
Jlent, how do you think North American audiences will react to OCB, as opposed to English audiences?  You mentioned it seemed a little dry and clinical in  places.  Is that the way (upmarket) American audiences might perceive a cultured English offering?  I didn't really get that impression except that there's some of that inherent in Florence herself, like her ability to function at her best within the structured environment of her string quartet.  I think OCB might strike a chord with English viewers.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Another BBC interview with Saoirse for OCB, this time from BBC4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2mgj4

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:07:16 AM by MMSouth »