Author Topic: On Chesil Beach  (Read 8378 times)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
Re: On Chesil Beach
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2018, 04:34:53 AM »
Steve, you mean this one?
http://celebmafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/saoirse-ronan-shopping-with-her-mother-at-the-grove-los-angeles-jan.-2015_1.jpg
You know, I remember this as being far worse than it was. Her face looks plump and there's a little thickness around the middle. I think I freaked because no one had seen her like that before. This was after Brooklyn and  Sundance. Whatever weight gain she made on purpose for  Brooklyn just kept going. She wasn't the kind of megastar where everyone would have been talking about it so it stayed under the radar. This was in late January.  By June she was filming The Seagull and was pretty much back to normal.
We know she was lonely after moving out of her parents' home. I'm guessing that was it.

I was kind of shocked myself and murmured WTF.  Yes, she moved to London on her own, but besides her writer friend, she was close to the actress (Lucinda Dryzek) who had a small supporting role in City of Ember.  Whatever happened, she's back to her normal very slender self and apparently in a good place.  I predict Saoirse will have a project within two months that'll shoot this year.  It's time. 

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
There's probably no way to have this conversation without being a little impolite.

Saoirse was not exactly trim in March 2015 when she did SXSW and Dublin Film Festival and Cinemagic.  Perhaps she figured that she hadn't been working so it didn't matter.

Maybe she then got an inkling that Brooklyn had awards circuit potential.  Or maybe she knew in the back of her mind that she had The Crucible coming up.  But for one reason or another she started getting fit.  By the time she was doing Brooklyn PR in late 2015 you wouldn't have commented.

Certainly hope there's a new project announcement soon.  It's going on eight months since she finished shooting MQOS.  A lot of actors her age couldn't do that without flat-lining their career.  The Seagull and OCB probably won't earn her much kudos no matter how good her performances.  She needs to have a quality & timely follow up to MQOS in the pipeline.  Trouble is she's not really one for career planning...

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2018, 01:44:21 PM »
Trouble is she's not really one for career planning...
I'm not sure about that.  Part of career planning might be not to take every film offer that comes along. I'm looking at you, Elle "52 Projects" Fanning.
Though even Fanning is no Brahmanandam Kanneganti. (Look him up.)

canvro

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
Hello my people; :D (Yes I hope you get the reference)
 In a time like this I'm very jealous of you who can see Saoirse's not very much promoted films on a theater, sadly they will never be screened here so I have to wait until they are out on Bluray (because I don't think Netflix or Amazon will stream The Seagull or OCB soon enough)
I'm still here reading you but it's a pain in my head to try and post in this format that is still broken.
Oh, and I read very good things about OCB so I can't wait to watch it!

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »
Hello my people; :D (Yes I hope you get the reference)
 In a time like this I'm very jealous of you who can see Saoirse's not very much promoted films on a theater, sadly they will never be screened here so I have to wait until they are out on Bluray (because I don't think Netflix or Amazon will stream The Seagull or OCB soon enough)
I'm still here reading you but it's a pain in my head to try and post in this format that is still broken.
Oh, and I read very good things about OCB so I can't wait to watch it!

Hello canvro.  Hope all is well!

Here is a nice review from a writer working for a publication based in the beautiful Newport Rhode Island:

On Chesil Beach’ a Heartbreaker

FILM REVIEW

By Loren King

If ever there was an argument for why the sexual revolution of the 1960s was necessary, it’s the heart-wrenching film, “On Chesil Beach.” There’s no shortage of movies soaked in nostalgia for the innocence, the cars, the music, the style and for what we imagine was a less complicated era. But for the characters at the center of this painful, tender, powerful drama, there’s no romanticizing ignorance and fear about sexual intimacy and its corroding consequences.

Set in Great Britain in 1962, the movie follows Florence Ponting (Saoirse Ronan), who’s from an upper crust family headed by a snobbish professor mother (Emily Watson) and an emotionally abusive, factory owner father (Samuel West).

Florence is a classical violinist (mom dismisses the sound as “screeching”), who efficiently runs her own quartet. Florence is on the cusp of quiet rebellion when she meets Edward Mayhew (Billy Howle) at a political meeting on the Oxford University campus. They are both star students, but Edward is middle class, to the chagrin of Florence’s folks. He’s got soft features, but he’s rough around the edges. His artist mother (Anne-Marie Duff) has been living with diminished mental capacity since a horrific accident when Edward was a boy. His father (Adrian Scarborough) is a gentle schoolmaster and Florence, on a visit, takes to them both with unforced kindness.

Edward and Florence may be different in temperament and taste, but there’s no doubt they’re suited to one another. She plays Mozart for him; he introduces her to Chuck Berry. The film points out, with poignancy, the class differences that were still a big deal in 1962. Quite believably, they fall in love and quickly marry. Then the trouble begins.

Adapted by Ian McEwan from his bestselling novel and directed with faithful craftsmanship by Dominic Cooper, “On Chesil Beach,” in its visuals and emotional substance, is one of the best films about the early ‘60s. Cooper effectively uses flashbacks to show the couple meeting and their quick but tender courtship. The anchor scene takes place in the seaside hotel where they have gone for their honeymoon just hours after their simple wedding ceremony. Everything is awkward, from a formal meal practically forced on them by the hotel staff to the ominous maroon draped bed that dominates the room.

They are both virgins, uncertain and fumbling, still dressed in their most constricting, wedding best. For all their love and genuine care for one another, Florence and Edward have no idea how to communicate about intimacy.

As things go from bad to worse, one might think, it’s not the end of the world, can’t they just be patient and talk? Well, no. Not these characters, not in this time.

Florence recoils and flees the room. Edward finds her and it all unravels on the rocky beach of the title. Florence proposes continuing their marriage without sex and Edward, hurt and insulted, leaves her on the shore, waiting for the world to change. That may be where the action effectively ends. But the moment haunts their lives, which continue, of course, as does the film, into the social shifts of the ‘70s and up to 2007 with a somber dénouement.

Ronan cements her status as perhaps the best young actress working today. Her Florence is vibrant and forceful, but there’s an ominous hint of something darker. She is nicely balanced by Howle, who also appears alongside Ronan in the new film version of “The Seagull,” with his mix of humility and swagger. They are both so young and appealing, so full of promise and good intentions, that the loss of a salvageable love is palpable.

“On Chesil Beach” is one of the most heartbreaking films I’ve seen in a long time, one that emotionally evokes the famous final lines of the John Greenleaf Whittier poem: “Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.’”

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »
I hope they haven't given up trying to fix it. It feels like I'm viewing "The Matrix" in its coded from a seat on the Nebuchadnezzar.

Don't give up hope on The Seagull and OCB. Netflix in particular has been pretty good about streaming Saoirse's films, even smaller ones.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 14, 2018, 09:56:02 PM »
Quote (JLent)
MMSouth:  Trouble is she's not really one for career planning...
JLent:  I'm not sure about that.  Part of career planning might be not to take every film offer that comes along.
Unquote

Didn't she once say in an interview that a few years ago her agent pulled her aside and told her she needed to do some career planning but she almost recoiled at the thought.  It was all too hard.  (I'm paraphrasing.)

In fact that comment was from her interview in The Gentlewoman which was published around September 2015:

"Not long ago, Saoirse’s Irish agent sat her down and asked her what she wanted to do next – what kind of movies she wanted to make, who she wanted to work with. She was stumped. “They’re really quite stressful questions,” she said, still visibly perplexed. Defining yourself, playing the game – “I was like, ‘That’s so fucking industry.’ I don’t want to be that.” She’d always thought the right projects would find her or she’d somehow find them, that she wouldn’t have to go hunting them down or promoting herself. But that’s another part of growing up: realising you’re part of a business where power and money lurk behind every creative endeavour."

I wonder if she still views things the same way?  I tend to think that she approaches projects on a bit of an ad hoc basis.  As a kid/teenager it wouldn't have mattered, no formal training, no pressure to work, she could take a year off if she pleased.  Maybe she still has something of the same attitude. Anyway, I doubt that her career planning is overly structured.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:18:54 AM by MMSouth »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
I hadn't seen this interview transcript before:

'On Chesil Beach': Story Of An Unconsummated Love And Marriage
May 19, 2018

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/19/612583982/on-chesil-beach-story-of-an-unconsummated-love-and-marriage

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2018, 06:40:31 AM »
Was finally able to see this! I'm not going to go into depth because I am horrible at getting my thoughts across online, but Saoirse's performance in this continues to show how impressive her ability to emote is. I mean, the best scenes took place in the bedroom and beach sequences when you could see this utter fear translate on every inch of her face. I know it's been said in interviews with directors she worked with, but she has this remarkable ability to dilate her pupils whilst on camera and I'm not sure how she does it.

That being said, I wasn't overly fond of the film, mostly because I felt every flashback sequence, aside from the scenes with Edward's family, felt very robotic and stilted and it ruined the natural progression of the story (for me). I still sobbed uncontrollably at the end, and I honestly didn't even realize that was Saoirse for a good couple minutes. I don't blame Ian or the director for this, it's just one of those novels that I don't think can be translated well on film even with great acting.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:57:33 AM by trvscrosley »

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
Was finally able to see this! I'm not going to go into depth because I am horrible at getting my thoughts across online, but Saoirse's performance in this continues to show how impressive her ability to emote is. I mean, the best scenes took place in the bedroom and beach sequences when you could see this utter fear translate on every inch of her face. I know it's been said in interviews with directors she worked with, but she has this remarkable ability to dilate her pupils whilst on camera and I'm not sure how she does it.

That being said, I wasn't overly fond of the film, mostly because I felt every flashback sequence, aside from the scenes with Edward's family, felt very robotic and stilted and it ruined the natural progression of the story (for me). I still sobbed uncontrollably at the end, and I honestly didn't even realize that was Saoirse for a good couple minutes. I don't blame Ian or the director for this, it's just one of those novels that I don't think can be translated well on film even with great acting.
My reaction was almost exactly the same, the first time I saw it. It improved exponentially upon a second viewing. For me it wasn't the flashbacks being robotic, they just seemed to stop the action cold.
They flowed much better for me the second time. My companion for that second time - I saw it alone my first - loved the whole thing and she wasn't aware of the story beforehand.
I normally wind up seeing every Saoirse film three times in a theater if I really like it. That wasn't the case this time because it vanished from theaters so quickly. It just ended its U.S run, making a pitiful $.75 million. it's doing a little better overseas,  more than $1 million. It deserved better, but people just didn't want to see it.  That and your observation it's not a naturally filmable script did it in.
Blu-Ray, DVD and online streaming available on Aug. 7.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:29:22 AM by jlent »

DerpyAnon

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 05, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »
I just watched the part of the movie where they are old. The makeup is, no offense, awful. It reminded me of the end of Deathly Hallows Part 2. They could have at least gave the actors fat suits. It takes me out of the realism. On second note, I was irked by the sun cream substitute of you know what, looking rather comically placed. Blargh.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
I'll have to watch it again when it comes out then jlent! And yeah, the old-age makeup wasn't great which is why I was so confused when Saoirse first appeared with it though she at least looked better than Howle did :o.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
As far as the old age makeup goes, I thought Saoirse's was pretty good, not so Billy's.

DerpyAnon

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »
As far as the old age makeup goes, I thought Saoirse's was pretty good, not so Billy's.

I think they're a little too soft on making the actors look out of shape. As people grow old, sometimes they aren't so nimble anymore. If they gave Saoirse or Billy like a fat suit to make them look a little porky in their old age, it would have made them look a little more realistically old.