Author Topic: On Chesil Beach  (Read 981 times)

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
Re: On Chesil Beach
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
MMSouth you mean the part about virginity?
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
Mark, precisely.  The line in the book:  “...its intimate starchy odour, which dragged with it the stench of a shameful secret locked in misty confinement...” is not really open to misinterpretation. 

The sense of smell is well known to be a strong trigger of memories.  Wikipedia:  “Odour information is stored in long-term memory and has strong connections to emotional memory.”

This shameful memory would not have been triggered by smell unless at some point in the past Florence had been somehow exposed to that particular body fluid.

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
I don't think it's particularly misleading. Virginity usually refers to the lack of experience of the actual act of penetration, at least in a traditional straight relationship. So it's entirely possible for Florence to have been abused and exposed to intimacy by her father, while remaining a virgin.
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »
Maybe the way to put it is that the opening sentence of the book creates an impression of innocence but then McEwan undermines that by revealing that Florence is traumatised and has a strong degree of shame over whatever her father did to her when she was younger.  The impression he creates up front may influence how the reader reacts to the subsequent revelations.

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
At first glance it seems like a rather slight story, but there's so much detail there. McEwan's work normally takes at least two reads for me to get a good grasp on it, he's such an incredible writer.

Interestingly it seems that his last two IMDB credits are for screenplays he has written based on his own novels, OCB and The Children Acts. Perhaps he is moving in the direction of Nick Hornby and concentrating more on screenwriting. Hopefully when the promotion for OCB begins we will find out some more about his inspirations behind this story. Perhaps even if the screenplay was written with Saoirse in mind?

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
I tend to think that Ian McEwan’s books may be operating on more than one level.  The entry level is the characters and story itself.  What I find interesting is trying to understand the mindset and motivations of the characters.  But I think there’s probably another literary level that goes over my head.  That’s certainly the case with Atonement.  I’m just not well enough read in literature, history, politics etc to appreciate all the references and allusions he’s got in there, not without spending a lot of time on Wikipedia.

I read one review of OCB that said the book had superficial similarities in characters and plot to a screenplay McEwan wrote many years earlier called The Ploughman’s Lunch.

McEwan said that when he wrote the screenplay for OCB he added a lot of additional material that he wished he’d thought of when he wrote the book.  I think Carey Mulligan was originally attached to the project but it took so many years to get from conception to production that she was too old for it.  Enter Saoirse who chased the part.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:15:15 AM by MMSouth »

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 12:50:52 PM »
Hell, he's complex enough to read as a fellow Englishman, I can only imagine how much more there is to try and comprehend if you're not.

If you've not read his novel Sweet Tooth I highly recommend it. It's about a young woman who takes a job at MI6 in the early 70s and becomes involved in a project that funds writers; she ends up romantically involved with the writer that she brings in to the project.

I'm currently working my way through it for the second time, and it's difficult to not imagine Saoirse in the lead role in a movie version.

BrazenRaisin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
So many news in the past few days, Lady bird stills, MQOS filming and now this :) although I don't know how to feel about OCB dropping, the year is too packed already.

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
Now, this is interesting... I wonder if (depending on a positive audience reaction) OCB will be released before 2018 in the USA and Canada, or if they will follow the UK release date.

Saoirse is going to be talking up a storm with two significant movies to promote (plus her smaller role in Loving Vincent)... And still no news on The Seagull! 

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
OCB will also be making its debut at TIFF.

Thank you BR for finding this terrific news!  So happy about this....Great still as well....

I'm wondering how this slipped under the radar without any of the major film outlets picking it up.  The best case scenario is the film really registers and has a legit bidding war from the kind of distributors who pounce on this kind of prestige project here in the N. American market.  Can't wait to hear more about this.

BTW, I've not been getting any email updates when a poster has added to any threads over the past couple of weeks.

BrazenRaisin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
I'd love to see the film hit US screens this year as I think her role has a very good chance of leading to her third Oscar nomination. No more than a few months from TIFF to theatres would be one hell of an expedited process, but if the reception at the festival is particularly effusive, a distributor pushing it as an eleventh-hour Oscar contender isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Between Mary, Sweetness, and possibly The Seagull, she doesn't need another horse in the 2019 race.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:25:36 PM by BrazenRaisin »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
True, we have a compressed time frame now especially for those films without distribution.  I believe Greg Ellwood wrote about this issue recently, the one concerning the tiny chance of films getting any Oscar love without having distribution this late in the game.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »

I found this on one of the awardswatch poster's sigs... and it made me smile even if I am still extremely doubtful of her chances this year. Honestly, just glad to get to watch some more (hopefully) great cinema from her again!

canvro

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
This September will be intense!
And now I'm intrigued, will she be put to do some campaign? not just promotion but actual campaigning.

I found this on one of the awardswatch poster's sigs... and it made me smile even if I am still extremely doubtful of her chances this year. Honestly, just glad to get to watch some more (hopefully) great cinema from her again!

I went and took a look at that forum and there was this user with the same nickname as a former usual poster from the IMDb message boards, mysteryfan, I wonder if it's the same person