Author Topic: Mary, Queen of Scots  (Read 5826 times)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
Re: Mary, Queen of Scots
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
I think I'm being overly-critical. It's really hard to judge a film  and a performance from the trailer, especially for a film like this. I think I'll just keep my mouth shut till it goes to festivals and I can see it for myself xD.

Others seem to like it:
"UPDATE, July 12: Good news: The first trailer for Mary, Queen of Scots is here, and it's even better than expected. Starring Margot Robbie and Saoirse Ronan as Queen Elizabeth I and Mary, respectively, this movie looks like a shoo-in for at least one Oscar nomination. But take a look for yourself to decide."
https://www.glamour.com/story/margot-robbie-saoirse-ronan-mary-queen-of-scots-posters

This is reassuring at least; haven't seen a bad critical response to the trailer yet and the GP seems to be responding well.

Travis, you're well aware of how critical Jeff Wells can be.  There is no way Wells holds back when he doesn't like a film or trailer.  He is what he wrote about the trailer:

Duelling Cousins, Bad Blood

Spittin’ cousins, queens at cross purposes. The willful, emotional, ultimately unlucky Mary Queen of Scots (Saoirse Ronan) vs. the coolly reasoned Queen Elizabeth (Margot Robbie) in the mid to late 1500s. Things don’t quite work out for Mary, but then you knew that. The Focus Features release opens on 12.4.

Yesterday I passed along praise for Ronan’s performance (“incredible, really gets to shine, a full range of emotions”). The flame-haired Robbie looks like a fright. (Cue junket-whore questions about how upsetting it was for the beautiful Robbie to ugly up for the sake of art.) The clips are handsome in a carefully-balanced, steady-as-she-goes, class-A fashion. The exquisite lighting is the work of dp John Mathiesen, a longtime Ridley Scott collaborator.

Directed by Josie Rourke, the trailer seeks to persuade that the film is primarily focused on character and conviction rather than blood and spectacle. The fact that Beau Willimon (House of Cards) wrote the screenplay suggests this. And yet the word around the campfire is that the Game of Thrones aesthetic was also an influence.

Tabby

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »
I thought it looked good. I wasn't expecting much since I've seen too many MQoS adaptations lol, but I liked the focus on the men being salty, and the ~creative liberties~ of having Saoirse and Margot have scenes together so when the trailer ended I was kind of excited to watch it.

I enjoyed what I saw of the costumes, not sure about Saoirse's accent (and never really cared for it in DDA which I didn't even finish because zzz) or even Margot's.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
The accent seems softer than her natural accent.  But it's better not to go over the top and make it hard for the average person to easily understand.  I tend to think you'd need to hear longer sections of dialogue to properly judge the accent, especially the cadence.  (One time I caught a train from London To Edinburgh.  They changed conductors every few hundred kilometres.  The conductors became progressively harder to understand the further north we got.  By the time we got to Scotland I could hardly catch a word of what was being said.  It takes time to tune your ear to a new accent.) 

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »
The accent seems softer than her natural accent.  But it's better not to go over the top and make it hard for the average person to easily understand.  I tend to think you'd need to hear longer sections of dialogue to properly judge the accent, especially the cadence.  (One time I caught a train from London To Edinburgh.  They changed conductors every few hundred kilometres.  The conductors became progressively harder to understand the further north we got.  By the time we got to Scotland I could hardly catch a word of what was being said.  It takes time to tune your ear to a new accent.)

In the second Trainspotting, they used subtitles in the second scene where the criminal/violent one was speaking with his rep or parole officer in prison.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »
Travis, you said the trailer was rough. I'll admit it's in your face, but that doesn't strike me as a bad thing. Can you explain?
The only thing I might take issue with is Saoirse's Scottish accent, if that's what it was. She did a perfect Scottish accent in Death Defying Acts so maybe she's after something else, though I don't know what that might be. It doesn't sound French either, her other choice.

I expected it to be grittier and darker in color and tone, but something about the way it was edited and cut reminds me of the new Beauty and the Beast at times (though I'm sure that's a ridiculous comparison). I warmed up to it a lot after re-watching it, but I still feel like there is a weird filter effect that the trailer has. I'm not worried about the performance, I feel like they showcased most of Margot's big scenes and hid a lot more of Saoirse's which makes sense. The final scene in the trailer definitely has an impact.

Travis, what are they saying on the Awards' Watch forum?

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
I thought it looked good. I wasn't expecting much since I've seen too many MQoS adaptations lol, but I liked the focus on the men being salty, and the ~creative liberties~ of having Saoirse and Margot have scenes together so when the trailer ended I was kind of excited to watch it.

I enjoyed what I saw of the costumes, not sure about Saoirse's accent (and never really cared for it in DDA which I didn't even finish because zzz) or even Margot's.

Hi Tabby.  If we go down the accent rabbit hole, disappointment will no doubt ensue.  There are presumably those out there who'll say Mary spent so many if not all formative years in France that the accent is not historically correct in the trailer.  Etc., etc.

I admit to being overly sensitive when certain things are said about Saoirse.  Sure enough, Sasha Stone already tweeted she might have switched the actresses in the film.  Jesus.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »
In the second Trainspotting, they used subtitles in the second scene where the criminal/violent one was speaking with his rep or parole officer in prison.
Unquote

One time I listened to a recording of Billy Connolly doing a stand up gig in Scotland.  He could almost have been speaking another language.  Accent was so thick and so many local colloquialisms.

Hard to spot Eileen O'Higgins amongst the crowd of ladies in waiting.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
Travis, you said the trailer was rough. I'll admit it's in your face, but that doesn't strike me as a bad thing. Can you explain?
The only thing I might take issue with is Saoirse's Scottish accent, if that's what it was. She did a perfect Scottish accent in Death Defying Acts so maybe she's after something else, though I don't know what that might be. It doesn't sound French either, her other choice.

I expected it to be grittier and darker in color and tone, but something about the way it was edited and cut reminds me of the new Beauty and the Beast at times (though I'm sure that's a ridiculous comparison). I warmed up to it a lot after re-watching it, but I still feel like there is a weird filter effect that the trailer has. I'm not worried about the performance, I feel like they showcased most of Margot's big scenes and hid a lot more of Saoirse's which makes sense. The final scene in the trailer definitely has an impact.

I stopped reading what they were saying after the first 3 pages of negative comments, lol. Lots of "TV Movie" remarks and people saying Margot acts circles around Saoirse (or vice versa).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:36:11 PM by trvscrosley »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »

I stopped reading what they were saying after the first 3 pages of negative comments, lol. Lots of "TV Movie" remarks and people saying Margot acts circles around Saoirse.

Lol.  Experts all I guess.  There are film fans who have favorites as well.  I chuckle when individuals in comment sections are already handicapping acting nom chances based upon trailers. :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:50:59 PM by Steve 7216 »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
Unquote

One time I listened to a recording of Billy Connolly doing a stand up gig in Scotland.  He could almost have been speaking another language.  Accent was so thick and so many local colloquialisms.

I'm just settling in.  I need to watch it at least a few more times.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:06 PM »
Will Mavity tweeted today that MR is in the film about 30-40% of the time.  For whatever its worth....
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:50:32 PM by Steve 7216 »

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
Lol.  Experts all I guess.  There are film fan who have favorites as well.  I chuckle when individuals in comment sections are already handicapping acting nom chances based upon trailers. :D

Yeah, I get the hint they don't like standard streamline biopics in general though; lots of them shit on Darkest Hour which I thought was a perfectly fine film. The person that actually saw the film still attests Saoirse was the best thing about the film though, so I'm not too worried.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »
Lol.  Experts all I guess.  There are film fan who have favorites as well.  I chuckle when individuals in comment sections are already handicapping acting nom chances based upon trailers. :D

Yeah, I get the hint they don't like standard streamline biopics in general though; lots of them shit on Darkest Hour which I thought was a perfectly fine film. The person that actually saw the film still attests Saoirse was the best thing about the film though, so I'm not too worried.

Yes. and from the wording of Hollywood Elsewhere's piece, it sounds like (in fact I know Wells had his own source) the viewer of the test screening had the same reaction to Saoirse as the other one.

Here is Erik Anderson's take on the trailer:

Yaasss, Queen! Oscar nominees Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie fight for the crown in the ‘Mary Queen of Scots’ trailer
Erik Anderson  July 12, 2018   Film, News, Slider, Trailers 0 Comments 159 Views

inShare
Save

In a time of kings, two queens rule.

Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird) and Margot Robbie (I, Tonya) went head to head at the Oscars earlier this year as Best Actress nominees (they both lost to Frances McDormand) and will now fight for the crown in Mary Queen of Scots.

Mary Stuart became Queen of France at just 16, and a widow two years later. Instead of remarrying, she returned home to Scotland to claim her throne. Soon, England and Scotland both fall under the reign of Elizabeth I, and a struggle for power between the two women ensues.

In her feature film debut, theater director Josie Rourke shows a deft eye for richly cinematic large battle sequences as well as keenly intimate drama. At one point, Robbie literally snatches her own wig (that’s going to be a fun gif soon). But casting two of the brightest stars in a lush and lavish period piece isn’t always the key to box office or awards success though, The Other Boleyn Girl anyone? Then again, with Fox Searchlight’s The Favourite being a likely Oscar contender as well we may have a Shakespeare in Love/Elizabeth duel on our hands.

The pair have some big wigs to fill as these roles have been played by legendary actresses like Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave and Cate Blanchett. I currently have Mary Queen of Scots factoring into multiple Oscar categories this season including Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Official July predictions will drop next week but you can take a peek at them as they stand now right here.

It also stars Jack Lowden, Joe Alwyn, Gemma Chan, Martin Compston, Ismael Cordova, Brendan Coyle, Ian Hart, Adrian Lester, James McArdle, David Tennant, and Guy Pearce. It is written by Beau Willimon (Emmy nominee for House of Cards, Oscar nominee for The Ides of March) from the book by John Guy.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »

Did you find her yet? The one-minute mark in.  "What is it like?" "To have a man?

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
Did you find her yet? The one-minute mark in.  "What is it like?" "To have a man?
Unquote

Yeah.  Hard to pick her with her hair up like that.