Author Topic: Lady Bird  (Read 43021 times)

PMG

• View Profile
Re: Lady Bird
« Reply #1275 on: February 13, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
Just ten more days until we see Lady Bird in a theatre in Ireland.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:10:52 AM by PMG »

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
Just ten more days until we see Lady Bird in a theatre in Ireland.

Nice.  That would make a great standee PMG.

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 13, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »
A nice review in the Radio Times today.

...While the 17-year-old has all the provocation of a hormonal youth, the perennially disapproving, stressed-out Marion (whose acts of kindness towards others are plentiful, and whose affection for Lady Bird is glaringly apparent) simply can’t hold her nagging tongue, ruining many a happy moment for her daughter. Ronan and Metcalf inhabit these flawed characters so beautifully that you’ll weep for every one of their botched attempts at bonding and reconciliation, but leave the cinema hopeful that their love will ultimately withstand the blows...
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 13, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »
A nice review in the Radio Times today.

...While the 17-year-old has all the provocation of a hormonal youth, the perennially disapproving, stressed-out Marion (whose acts of kindness towards others are plentiful, and whose affection for Lady Bird is glaringly apparent) simply can’t hold her nagging tongue, ruining many a happy moment for her daughter. Ronan and Metcalf inhabit these flawed characters so beautifully that you’ll weep for every one of their botched attempts at bonding and reconciliation, but leave the cinema hopeful that their love will ultimately withstand the blows...

Mark, this is a fine start.  Let us know when Kermode has his video review available for viewing.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:56 AM »
I always love reading this list from 100+ critics and often find myself watching films I hadn't heard about during the award's season because of it. The results are pretty great from my viewpoint!

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/02/13/the-village-voice-film-poll/

Best Film:
2. Lady Bird (326 points)

Best Director:
2. Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird (52 points)

Best Lead Performance:
1. Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird (121 points)

Best Supporting Performance:
1. Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird (199 points)

Best Screenplay:
1. Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird (22 points)

Best First Feature:
2. Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird (15 points)

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 14, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
Another review today, from The Independent.

...As “Lady Bird.” Ronan offers an appealing mix of mischief, delinquency, naiveté, defiance and precocious charm, She is both extremely confident in herself and painfully aware of her own intellectual and social limitations.

She may never have heard of Jim Morrison and the Doors but she won’t admit it. Nor will she let her affluent friends from the other side of town know just how humble her circumstances actually are.

She’s a rebel, ready to argue the case for abortion with shocked grown ups at her Catholic school, but she also wants to belong.  She has no intention of dropping out. Ronan shows us her idealism and her snobbery. She makes it very clear that she can do “better” than the nuns and teachers in her Catholic school think she can...
“You need to do what’s right for you and what your instinct is telling you to do, because only then, I think, you can be the best version of yourself.” - Saoirse

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 15, 2018, 06:43:58 AM »
Just a reminder: IFTA Awards are broadcast on the 17th (awards are actually tomorrow the 15th) at 10:45PM GMT (2:45PST) on RTÉ One. I usually use a streaming website to watch shows across the pond in real time, so if I find a good one I'll post it unless someone here already knows of one :). The BAFTA's are also on sunday so we have both of them to look forward to!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:46:38 AM by trvscrosley »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:32 AM »
A great little article on Lady Bird's supporting cast.  But Danny omitted.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/lady-bird-best-supporting-characters-1201928655/

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 15, 2018, 08:11:08 AM »
Looks like Saoirse will be on BBC Radio 5's film review show tomorrow talking about Lady Bird. No idea if the review will be on tomorrow's show or the following week's (when it goes on general release) but as you can see from the website, Mark Kermode is away!

PMG

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 16, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »
Looks like Saoirse will be on BBC Radio 5's film review show tomorrow talking about Lady Bird. No idea if the review will be on tomorrow's show or the following week's (when it goes on general release) but as you can see from the website, Mark Kermode is away!

Thanks for the heads up Mark. Edith Bowman is a big fan of Saoirse and a good interviewer, though like some here, I was looking forward to Kermode's take on Lady Bird and her performance.

I've lost count of how many IFTAs she's won after winning another on Thursday. I didn't watch, saving myself for the Baftas. Saoirse's award count to date is 46 from 93 nominations. Where does she put them all?

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 16, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
Lady Bird opened here this week so I checked it out again.  They've modified two scenes.  In the classroom scene where Lady Bird is trying to impress Jenna, they've replaced the two instances of the "c" word with something a little less brazen.  And they've omitted most of the scene where Lady Bird is leaning against the wall of the convenience store so as not to show the Playgirl magazine.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 16, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
Lady Bird opened here this week so I checked it out again.  They've modified two scenes.  In the classroom scene where Lady Bird is trying to impress Jenna, they've replaced the two instances of the "c" word with something a little less brazen.  And they've omitted most of the scene where Lady Bird is leaning against the wall of the convenience store so as not to show the Playgirl magazine.

Really?  :D  It's weird how they would modify scenes like that but show the most horrific violence in cinemas.  Some months ago I went to see Woody Harrelson in a film biopic about LBJ.  However, I arrived at the cinema and realized the show time was at least an hour from what I expected, and I didn't feel like waiting around.  So, I decided to see Jigsaw, a film I thought was a paint by the numbers horror flick.  Well, to my surprise, the opening scene was great if one happens to be a sadistic, sick puppy.  It turned out to be revolting cinema, and this is the type of film exhibitors feel is O.K. to show.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 21, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »
I started this thread last July doubting Lady Bird would even come out in 2017. Happy to be mistaken.
The movie is now streaming on Amazon and YouTube for about $13. It comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray March 6.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 23, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
A little surprising!  Lady Bird expanding again.

Theatre Count, 23 February

> EXPANDING
Darkest Hour   795   +193   +32.1%
Call Me by Your Name   675   +343   +103.3%
Phantom Thread   651   +296   +83.4%
Lady Bird   601   +194   +47.7%

> DECLINING
The Post   795   -255   -24.3%
The Shape of Water   721   -236   -24.7%
TBOEM      691   -89   -11.4%
I, Tonya      423   -79   -15.7%
Molly's Game   104   -66   -38.8%
The Florida Project   21   -2   -8.7%
The Disaster Artist   12   -11   -47.8%

Also out today is a new Irish profile on Saoirse including inputs from Caroline Downey and Grace Moore:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndoWeekend/status/967099406687367170

**new work out tomorrow** Big read on #SaoirseRonan detailing her extraordinary evolution in @IndoWeekend. With thanks to @BarryMcCallFoto @CarolineAtMCD @graciestylist among others for unique insight and @LeslieAnnHorgan for the chance to mark this moment #LadyBird #loveirish twitter.com/indoweekend/st…

You can read it here for $3 (US):

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-independent-weekend-magazine/20180224

It's well researched and very respectful of her abilities and achievements.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:24:27 PM by MMSouth »

MarkRoick

• Home is home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 24, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »
Film of the year, says the false Marissa, Michelle Dockery!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BflJ6IXgSto/