Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roles She Circled That You Wish She Did?  (Read 2638 times)

Steve 7216

• View Profile
Re: Roles She Circled That You Wish She Did?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
This had been a topic and a source of frustration on the old board for many years Poetswan.  For the time being, we'll have to be satisfied with critics and fellow actors holding her in such high regard.  One of the reasons why I posted boatloads of reviews of Brooklyn from bloggers who aren't to be found on Rotten Tomatoes was because of the incredible things said about her due to that performance.  I've never read so many male critics admitting they teared up while watching the film.  The truth is she has been receiving outstanding reviews right from the start.

For example, there is a fine writer who I believe is actually a full time engineer writing on the website "Reel Views" by the name of James Berardinelli.  In his review of Saoirse's first ever movie, he mentioned how she kept stealing scenes from Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd.  In her most poorly rated film (The Host), he said the following: When it comes to acting, there's Saoirse Ronan and everyone else."  That's about the best compliment one could ever receive.

I'm positive she'll breakthrough to the mainstream someday, but as you know, it'll take a film of the kind playing on 3000-4000 screens in N. America.

BTW, I've been able to see really good stuff the last few weeks.  At a Cinemark in my area, they had the Oscar nominated shorts (both live and animated) playing in one program lasting for over three hours.  ;D  It was very worthwhile.  I also had a chance to watch "The Salesman" and "Toni Erdmann."  Both are very different films but are quite excellent overall.

O.K.  jlent, its time for your first post!   8) 

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »
More so than a big budget movie, I just want her to work with a well known director. It seems like Jennifer Lawrence has been getting all the attention lately, and while she is clearly talented most of her recent films have seemed like she is just pumping them out without giving characters depth (Passengers, Joy, Hunger Games, and Serena) even if the films themselves weren't that great.

I may be a little selfish in that regard but I want her to be able to generate buzz like JLaw does for something like mother! (the title actually gives me OCD) which has become quite big already and has been since it was announced.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:08:18 PM by trvscrosley »

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »
This had been a topic and a source of frustration on the old board for many years Poetswan.  For the time being, we'll have to be satisfied with critics and fellow actors holding her in such high regard.  One of the reasons why I posted boatloads of reviews of Brooklyn from bloggers who aren't to be found on Rotten Tomatoes was because of the incredible things said about her due to that performance.  I've never read so many male critics admitting they teared up while watching the film.  The truth is she has been receiving outstanding reviews right from the start.

For example, there is a fine writer who I believe is actually a full time engineer writing on the website "Reel Views" by the name of James Berardinelli.  In his review of Saoirse's first ever movie, he mentioned how she kept stealing scenes from Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd.  In her most poorly rated film (The Host), he said the following: When it comes to acting, there's Saoirse Ronan and everyone else."  That's about the best compliment one could ever receive.

I'm positive she'll breakthrough to the mainstream someday, but as you know, it'll take a film of the kind playing on 3000-4000 screens in N. America.

BTW, I've been able to see really good stuff the last few weeks.  At a Cinemark in my area, they had the Oscar nominated shorts (both live and animated) playing in one program lasting for over three hours.  ;D  It was very worthwhile.  I also had a chance to watch "The Salesman" and "Toni Erdmann."  Both are very different films but are quite excellent overall.

O.K.  jlent, its time for your first post!   8) 

I really wanna watch Toni Erdnmann Steve, still haven't found time thought  :'( I finally watched the Tree of Life recently, what a magical movie,  Malick is really something.

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 03:18:33 AM »
Yes, it's safe to say he's a unique cinematic talent.  Check out "Days of Heaven" someday.  Oh, I don't know if you'll have the chance, but don't miss "The Red Turtle" on the big screen.  If it's not available at the cinema, then I guess you'll be able to see it when it becomes available on various home platforms.  It's different but one of those films having both physical beauty and an emotional impact without one word of dialogue.

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
I'd like to see her in a stand-alone movie that becomes iconic. Meryl Streep is a great actress but has she ever been in a truly great movie? Meanwhile, Ingrid Bergman made Casablanca, Bette Davis made All About Eve (as did Anne Baxter, possibly the only reason we even know about her today.)
I envy Emma Stone in La La Land, a film I think might become one of those; it's certainly original. And Saoirse can sing! But can she dance?

Steve 7216

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:47 PM »
Hey jlent!  I see where you're going with the post.  Brooklyn will stand the test of time, but Saoirse has an entire career ahead of her to make a film in which she has an iconic role.

Gabby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • I Heart Saoirse
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
I'd like to see her in a stand-alone movie that becomes iconic. Meryl Streep is a great actress but has she ever been in a truly great movie? Meanwhile, Ingrid Bergman made Casablanca, Bette Davis made All About Eve (as did Anne Baxter, possibly the only reason we even know about her today.)
I envy Emma Stone in La La Land, a film I think might become one of those; it's certainly original. And Saoirse can sing! But can she dance?
I personally would consider "Sophie's Choice" iconic... that would be my pick for Meryl. I think an example of that is how people will refer to incredibly hard decisions by referencing that movie's title. I'm sure Saoirse's gonna get there if her decisions through the years are any indication. We get ansy because we enjoy watching her, but we forget she's so young.
"I just missed your heart."

Poetswan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
Many people are considering her for the Batgirl role, idk how I feel about she doing it, especially it being from DC. If she were to be in a superhero movie, I would prefer for it to be a one time thing, like playing an iconic vilain that gets defeated at the end.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
There's so many people on Twitter trying to suggest her for the casting of Supergirl now that the project has been announced. Could just be another Batgirl that eventually falls through, but I hope Saoirse chooses wisely when she decides to do a film like that. I don't know much about those films, but it seemed like Batgirl would've been a more interesting character and I don't think she'd want to take up a franchise that puts her in multiple films like I think Supergirl would do.

CountJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 03:45:50 AM »
There's so many people on Twitter trying to suggest her for the casting of Supergirl now that the project has been announced. Could just be another Batgirl that eventually falls through, but I hope Saoirse chooses wisely when she decides to do a film like that. I don't know much about those films, but it seemed like Batgirl would've been a more interesting character and I don't think she'd want to take up a franchise that puts her in multiple films like I think Supergirl would do.

I'm good with her not doing a big franchise. Another standalone action movie like Hana might be fine, but I think like her doing the kind of things she is now.

trvscrosley

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
In relation to the possibility of her being in This Above All, Nick Hornby apparently also has a script for an adaptation of "The Giant's House" about a librarian that falls in love with the world's tallest Man. It has the same producers as those from Brooklyn, so maybe that's the role he was talking about?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk