Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where Do You Hope Her Career Goes in the Next 5+ Years?  (Read 5710 times)

jlent

• View Profile
Re: Where Do You Hope Her Career Goes in the Next 5+ Years?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
Only 22 and she has a column in a major UK newspaper and is writing feature articles.  I think she’s attending university in New York too.  That’s a lot more than I was doing at 22.
It was Curtis who alerted us to Saoirse's new hair style:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTOuUWGDrcQ/?taken-by=scarcurtis&hl=en
Regarding Pepe's banning. The great thing about the old IMDB board was the civility of so many people who didn't know each other staying focused on the subject at hand, Saoirse Ronan.
The same is true of Gabby, Bella, Dani & Maria's site here. Pepe, whose name I can only assume originates with the "Pepe the Frog"  meme that has been appropriated by the Alt-Right, came here only with a political agenda to push. You were all very polite. I wasn't and feared my comments would only bring him back with more ferocity. I'm sorry for adding gasoline to the flames.

Gabby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • I Heart Saoirse
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
Only 22 and she has a column in a major UK newspaper and is writing feature articles.  I think she’s attending university in New York too.  That’s a lot more than I was doing at 22.
It was Curtis who alerted us to Saoirse's new hair style:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTOuUWGDrcQ/?taken-by=scarcurtis&hl=en
Regarding Pepe's banning. The great thing about the old IMDB board was the civility of so many people who didn't know each other staying focused on the subject at hand, Saoirse Ronan.
The same is true of Gabby, Bella, Dani & Maria's site here. Pepe, whose name I can only assume originates with the "Pepe the Frog"  meme that has been appropriated by the Alt-Right, came here only with a political agenda to push. You were all very polite. I wasn't and feared my comments would only bring him back with more ferocity. I'm sorry for adding gasoline to the flames.

Although I agree that the conversation was probably heading somewhere Dani and I didn't appreciate, I feel like you basically wrote what several of us were thinking. In my excitement about the Freud subject (I happen to be a Psychologist), I paid no attention to his posts. It was only when I read yours that I went back and read his, and I felt the same way you did towards them. I had seen Pepe expressing his beliefs about Islam - which, knowing quite a few powerful Muslim women myself, I know not to be true - and I had had enough of it. Dani also caught the diminishing of mental illness and, of course, that does not sit well with me. We didn't see another alternative but the ban, and I hope it helps the conversation flow more naturally around here.

Anyway, you're all making me curious about Scarlett Curtis' work. I'll make sure to read something of hers!
"I just missed your heart."

jlent

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »
I read some of her columns here:
https://scarlettcurtis.com/

This was a good one:
https://scarlettcurtis.com/2016/02/04/has-anxiety-become-trendy/
So was the anti-Trump one, if I can be a bit mischievious.

I too had just skimmed through Pepe's posts, being much more curious about the Freud connection. But then I went back.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:23:12 PM by jlent »

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »
I had seen Pepe expressing his beliefs about Islam - which, knowing quite a few powerful Muslim women myself, I know not to be true - and I had had enough of it.  Dani also caught the diminishing of mental illness and, of course, that does not sit well with me.
Unquote

I too work with some Muslim women (from Malaysia) and they are very fine people.  I was quite offended by some of Pepe’s comments.  Like you I found his dismissive treatment of mental illness to be very inappropriate.  Mental illness is physical illness and so often is beyond the control of the sufferer.

This was a good one:
https://scarlettcurtis.com/2016/02/04/has-anxiety-become-trendy/
Unquote

Hard to believe that that piece was written by a 20 year old.  I was almost not going to mention Scarlett but she is a very interesting person.

Anyway, SITB is another film where Saoirse will be playing someone completely different from herself.  I think she’s said that Brooklyn has been the only film where she’s played someone close to herself.  Was her performance in Brooklyn so good because she was playing someone close to herself or because the story/character/script/director gave her the basis for a great performance?  I tend to think the latter.  Her performance in Atonement was just as good but the character was completely removed from her own persona.  I think she likes the challenge of pretending to be someone completely different from herself.

MMSouth

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
Not sure where to post this thought but I'll try here.

You see people saying in the press that Saoirse must be inundated with scripts following the awards success of Brooklyn and Lady Bird.  But what's she done since Brooklyn started winning awards?

The Crucible - She was already long term committed to it.
Lady Bird - She was already committed to it.
On Chesil Beach - She'd been eyeing it for years and was presumably already in talks with the producers.
Mary Queen of Scots - She'd been attached to it for years.
Little Women - Presumably Saoirse and Chamalet were invited to join based on Greta's recommendation.
SITB - One of the co-producers also made Brooklyn so presumably she was invited to join but then pulled out.

Maybe she's got a few new things lined up, who knows.  But everything listed above was with people she was already working with.   So what's happening with all those new scripts?  Are they not interesting/challenging?  Does she prefer working with people she already knows?  Or does she just prefer not working too much?

Edit:  In the recent WSJ article she says “I’d like to do something modern now, because I’ve been doing periods lately”
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:42:29 AM by MMSouth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk